Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Day 51 - "Let's get ready to rumble"




In my best Michael Buffer impression, allow me to introduce you to today's blog post...

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls.  It's now time for your main event of the evening!  This match-up has it all on the line.  Father versus daughter.  Man versus baby.  Rational speaking versus intense screaming.  There is truly only one way to settle an issue like this; within the confines of the wooden crib!  In the blue corner, hailing from Savannah, MO, tipping the scales at 179 pounds.  The master of the Dad joke: Jesse Holt!  **pause for crowd response**  In the pink corner, this diminutive combatant from Kansas City registers only 11 pounds.  However, don't underestimate her due to her size.  Her fight knows no bounds.  The two-fisted screamer; the baby who's a lady; the indomitable Ellie Holt!  **pause for louder crowd response**  Now, as both contestants step inside the battleground, I ask you, Audience, are you ready?  I said are you ready?  Then for the six people reading this blog, let's get ready to rumble!!!"

Apollo, wanna ring the bell?
Ok, that might have been slightly excessive but it was certainly fun to type and that's good enough for me.  Really, if I'm being honest, I feel like sleep training Ellie is the equivalent of a big-time title fight.  That's right, I'm sleep-training Ellie right now.  The goal is honestly to get her to sleep through her nights.  According to some of our research, the best way to do so is to ensure she gets quality naps during the day.  At least one every two hours.  In the morning, that's no issue at all.  Ellie has always been one to enjoy her morning nap which in turn allows me to enjoy mine.  Funny how that works.  Our struggle has always been with her afternoon nap.  So with great anticipation, we arrive at the fight of the century.  

It awaits...

While playing with Ellie this afternoon, I started to see the warning signs that she was tired.  The red circles around her eyes, the yawns, and her eyes beginning to close slightly.  Knowing this, I decided to take her to her crib instead of her swing.  My thoughts being if she was already getting tired, then I may be able to get her to sleep there.  After a quick diaper change, I kissed her gently on the forehead, laid her in her crib, and placed a pacifier in her mouth.  I then left the room and closed the door.  Relatively quickly, I heard a dramatic scream emanating from Ellie's room.  Cracking the door, I peeked inside just to make sure she was "fine".  Everything was kosher so I closed the door and made note of the time on my phone deciding to intervene in ten minutes if she was still crying.

Waiting ten minutes, I then re-entered her room, placing the pacifier back into her gaping mouth and patting her head before leaving again.  This may seem a little cold-hearted but I was actually following the clearly defined rules from our book on sleep.  I then took note of the time so that I could wait fifteen minutes.  After eight minutes, Ellie's screaming doubled in intensity.  Cracking the door, I peeked in to see that Ellie had wiggled and squirmed her way from the middle of her crib all the way to the head of it.  In fact, her head was actually touching the bars.  Taking pity on her, I moved her back to the foot of the crib, put her pacifier back in and left.  Ten minutes later, Ellie's screams again rose in intensity.  Sneaking to the door, I cracked it open to find that Ellie had now gotten her leg stuck in the bars on the crib.  Rolling my eyes, I stepped in and removed her leg from the crib, placing her pacifier back into her mouth and left the room again.

At this point, Ellie's screams subsided from an impassioned cry to more of a pitiful whimper.  To me, this was actually worse.  I can handle her screaming all day long.  That's what the earplugs are for.  Her whimpering is worse because it makes me feel more like I'm neglecting her.  I had prepared myself for this though.  Knowing that I must stand tall, I patiently waited by the clock.  Knowing that I was winning the battle, I awaited my victory.  Finally at 2:46 pm, forty full minutes after we began, Ellie let out one last cry and would fall fast asleep for the next forty-five minutes.  

I had won.  The battle was mine.  However, that was tempered with the knowledge that the war will continue tomorrow afternoon.  Same time, same place.  I'm already scared.  #DaddyWrite


No comments:

Post a Comment