Monday, November 28, 2016

Day 67 - The one where I tacked on things I'm thankful for...



Hey, I'm back.  In case you've been really concerned, I didn't die.  Nope, instead I just came down with a really nasty case of the flu.  Total truth here, I actually spent twenty-four straight hours in bed one day last week.  If I hadn't felt like walking death, then it'd be a really cool accomplishment.  Given the circumstances though, not cool at all.  I actually was feeling better by Wednesday and considered blogging that day.  However, I had a little discussion with myself first.  It went something like this, "Self, you've been really sick for a few days now.  You could blog today, but keep in mind that you won't be able to blog on Thursday or Friday because you'll have a Bethany around.  Therefore, the blog wouldn't count as a real day because you had your wife around.  So, rather than have one random day to account for, you should probably just take it off and have a blogless week."  So after that lengthy consideration, I chose to just take last week off so welcome back to #DaddyWrite!



I noticed something that I find really interesting about Ellie today.  She actually seems really happy to be home today after a weekend of traveling and being with family.  I mean, sure, I always enjoy getting back home after a time away.  There's something about being back in your own environment and just getting back into a normal routine that is really nice.  That being said, I didn't really expect that from a five month old.  I always kind of figured that she was just happy wherever as long as Bethany and I were present and accounted for.  That being said, she definitely is showing some characteristics that show her happiness to be home.

Anytime Ellie has to sleep away from home, it definitely impacts her quality of sleep.  Going from her normal napping place of her swing to her car seat or a pack-and-play or a bed definitely impacted her attitude over the weekend.  We have certainly found that if Ellie doesn't sleep every two hours, she begins to get really frustrated.  In light of that, my goal for this week was very evident; make sure the baby sleeps.  I feel like I've been able to do just that.  Putting her down this morning around 6:30, Ellie actually stayed put in her swing until 11:00!  She was definitely worn completely out after a long weekend away for the holidays.  

Once Ellie woke up, I decided the most humane thing to do for my five month old who had been away from home all weekend was to stuff her in her car seat and take her out of her home again.  I had a good reason; we really needed milk.  Going to the grocery store as a dad alone with a baby is always one of my favorite experiences.  First and foremost, it really bucks social norms so you definitely get some interesting glances.  Even more so, I love to talk to Ellie as we're walking up and down aisles explaining what we're seeing, telling her what's tasty and what's not, and cracking dad jokes.  I also love how when you pass by another shopper, a phenomenon not unlike that which you see on the highway after a wreck occurs.  That's right, baby rubberneckers are alive and well.  People will always slow their rate of speed and turn, hoping to catch a glimpse of the baby as it passes by.  Once our groceries were purchased, we headed on home so that Ellie could bask in the comfort of her own home for the remainder of the day.

As I write this, I feel that I would be remiss if I neglected to even mention Thanksgiving.  It was actually an incredibly enjoyable weekend, outside of a third of Bethany's family suffering from flu-like symptoms.  Of course that could be partly because I discovered the song, 'Beans & Cornbread.'  That's neither here nor there though.  On Ellie's first Thanksgiving, I find myself thankful for two things above all.  Number one is Ellie.  I am so thankful that she is happy and healthy and absolutely love how her little personality continues to flourish.  Not a day goes by that she doesn't make me laugh and smile at least a little bit regardless of how bad things might be going.  I'm also thankful for my current lot in life as a stay-at-home dad.  Yeah, I like to emasculate myself quite a bit as a result of this "job" but it's actually really great.  I am having the opportunity to not only recharge and figure out what to do with my life long-term, but I'm able to be arguably the formative figure in the first year of my daughter's life.  Sorry to Bethany if I'm being a little cocky in saying so.  Oh wait, can I also be thankful for gifs on iOS 10?  If so, then I choose to be thankful for gifs on iOS 10.  The other stuff I said isn't that important...  #DaddyWrite



No comments:

Post a Comment