Monday, November 14, 2016

Day 60 - Best laid plans of "rice" and men...



Quotes are always fun.  You know why?  Because once somebody says something, then it's out there for all eternity.  You can't take it back at all.  Regardless of how much you would like to do so.  Literally one of my very first experiences with a college roommate consisted of us making awkward small talk at dinner one night and me deciding to impart wisdom.  That wisdom being, "Hey Ryan, did you know that horses are made out of glue?"  And once that one little inane sentence was out of my mouth, there was no getting it back.  Fortunately, it only made Ryan think I was slightly stupid.  Either that or really tired.  I was a sophomore in college on move-in weekend.  Of course I was tired.


Another quote that I really enjoy is "Plans are made to be broken."  Now, I have no clue who actually coined this phrase.  I mean, I can just make up a name and attribute it to them.  Tom Selleck.  See, that's who I've chosen to associate with this in my mind.  Either him or Winston Churchill.  Clearly, it works for either.  I feel like this quote is actually something that I have to live by these days.  No matter what plans I lay out for a day, odds are that Ellie will decide to follow her own plans.  Today, that's exactly what she decided to do. 


After getting Ellie laid down for her morning nap, I decided to take stock of the things that I knew needed to be done this week.  Some were relatively inconsequential and could be done at any time.  You know, cleaning the bathroom vanity, putting Drano down the sink, doing the dishes, etc.  None of these were a rush situation.  We did have one really pressing item though; buying food.  Bethany and I really prefer to make our own meals most nights instead of eating out.  Not only is it healthier but we're also blessed with leftovers which means no PB&J for lunch the next day.  The problem is that we have become somewhat lackadaisical about buying groceries when we should.  That means that we eventually run low on food and resort to eating pots of rice for dinner.  I guess if nothing else, it allows us to pretend that we're on Survivor.  So, while Ellie was asleep, I chose to study the grocery ads and make a shopping list with the intention of going after Ellie ate her lunch around 10:30.

Never send Jeff Probst to buy your groceries.  He'll spend all of your money on rice and beans...

Low and behold, 10:30 would come and go, soon to be followed by 11:00.  Finally at 11:30, Ellie awoke from her slumber with a screech.  Luckily I had been prepared for this very moment for quite some time.  Springing into action, I bounded down the stairs to seize Ellie from her swing so that I might feed her a bottle.  Once she had eaten her fill, I changed her into an outfit for the day and we headed to the kitchen.  I then decided to heat up some leftover pizza before we left (I know, I just went on a whole eating out rant).  

While eating my lunch, I noticed Ellie beginning to get fussy in her bouncy seat.  I finally picked my daughter up, sitting her on my lap, only to be met by more intense screaming.  As I tried offering her a pacifier, Sophie the Giraffe, and bouncing her upon my knee, I quickly realized I was getting nowhere.  Finally, I resorted to putting Ellie in her swing and turning it on hoping she would calm down quickly and we could go.  What I was not prepared for was Ellie falling asleep almost immediately even though she had only been awake for 40 minutes.  

With that, I began to wait and wait and wait some more.  Finally Ellie awoke.  As I turned to look at the clock, what do I see but 3:40.  Ellie had actually just slept for another four-plus hours.  In fact, she literally slept for all but two hours of the entire time I was home alone with her.  I then realized that I should probably change my well laid-out plans and just wait for Bethany to get home to go shopping.  You win Ellie; you always do.  #DaddyWrite


No comments:

Post a Comment