Thursday, September 22, 2016

Day 23 - Crawl towards the future




Today I found myself thinking about the future.  Not my future.  Not even Ellie's future.  The distant future.  Perhaps I should expand on that a bit further.   

Over the past month I've been watching through the old series 'Futurama' on Netflix.  One of those cult favorites that I remember fondly from my college years.  If you haven't heard of it, the show centers around a pizza delivery boy who falls into a cryogenic freezer in 1999 and wakes up in the year 3000.  From there, he has various misadventures with an oddball cast of characters until the show was cancelled after five seasons.  Then, there were some direct-to-DVD films and the show came back to TV for two or three more seasons.  


And now, since I've given you the complete history of a show that you've never heard of or cared about, back to the matter at hand.  Technology is pretty sweet.  It does some wicked awesome things for us.  Whether it be video chatting with family and friends, reading news in the world, or watching silly videos on YouTube, it's a really handy thing to have.  However, technology doesn't do everything for us automatically like I wish it would.

After Ellie's ridiculous nap this morning which went on for almost five hours, she woke up ready to eat.  So of course, what do I do other than get her up and let her eat happily.  Once that's completed and she's in a really good mood, I decide to take her upstairs to play.  Since she's gain the desire to sit up so much lately, we have a horseshoe shaped pillow to help prop her up in a sitting position.  It honestly looks so comfortable that I wish I had one that was my size.  The way that it totally envelopes her and supports her weight looks awesome.  

After a while, Ellie's attention span gets short so it's time to mix things up a bit by moving her to her stomach.  Like normal, she wiggles and squirms around and after a couple of minutes begins to squirm and wiggle instead.  As I lay there playing with her, I was totally stunned to see something from her I hadn't seen before.  Ellie pulled her knees underneath her which is very normal for her.  But she then followed that by putting both fists on the ground and pushing herself up to a crawling position.  This was impressive enough in itself I thought.  I was mistaken.  She then proceeded to take two crawls (I guess that's what you call the crawling equivalent of a step) before all momentum stopped.  Ellie's little arms gave out at this point and she faceplanted right into her playmat.  Of course that brought on some tears.  I don't blame her one bit.  You expect the playmat to be a place of fun and joy, not pain and suffering.  It's essentially in the name.

As I told Bethany about this via text, her response was one of great disappointment.  "Why didn't you record it for me?"  "Well, I didn't expect our two month old to decide to crawl today."  And that's how we get back here.   Since I didn't have my phone handy, this didn't get recorded which is a serious bummer.  If you've ever tried to record anything that an infant does, it's incredibly difficult.  In fact, it's nigh impossible.  The special moment will always be gone by the time you get the camera ready to go. 

Honestly, I think that it may be time to have a GoPro surgically mounted to my head to avoid missing special moments.  The problem with that is that no one will look me in my eyes anymore.  They'd just think they needed to make eye contact with the camera.   I would just end up feeling like I'm some kind of cyborg unicorn.  #DaddyWrite

I guess I'll just attach this to my hat instead of getting surgery...

No comments:

Post a Comment