Monday, October 24, 2016

Day 45 - 101 Uses for a Kitchen Floor


This is what my kitchen floor looks like.  Everyone say, "Hi, kitchen floor".   

Don't be so rude, kitchen floor...

Ok, now that pleasantries have been exchanged, you may be wondering what I'm doing on the kitchen floor.  There could be any number of explanations for that.  Now, I'm just brainstorming right now but here are some possibilities that come to my mind.

  • ·         I could be deep cleaning the kitchen floor (I should really finish off that bottle of Pine Sol under the sink soon)
  • ·         Perhaps I'm counting the number of planks of wood in my kitchen (That's important to know for when we sell the house someday right?)
  • ·         Maybe I fell and I can't get up? (I do have a broken toe after all)
  • ·         Perhaps the cutting boards were all dirty and I really needed to slice an onion?

Now, the likely response is that Ellie is somehow to "blame" for this situation and don't worry, I'll get there.  The important thing to start with is that poor Ellie hasn't been feeling very well over the last couple of days.  In fact, she fell asleep in her car seat late yesterday afternoon, slept until about 9:00 pm and then went straight to her crib with only a quick feeding and wardrobe change.  She then found herself sleeping through most of the night and needing to be woken up the next morning at 6:45 am to forcefeed before Bethany left for work.  Following that, Ellie returned to her slumbering ways at 8:00 and slept until hunger pangs set in close to 1:00 pm.  
 
This is where Ellie's day got pretty rough and where she made her true feelings regarding it known.  My normal protocol when Ellie wakes up is to change her followed by a feeding.  I figure she might as well start out clean.  Now, I don't know if her problem was because she was hungry or she didn't feel well, but I was met with the loudest and longest screaming session that she's ever given me.  For an hour and fifteen minutes, Ellie would loudly voice her displeasure with me, with her bottle, with my choice of music, and even with Leon the lion.  Nothing could soothe the child until she was finally returned to her swing where she could resume her nap.

Decent representation of how Ellie looked today...

I found myself immediately dreading what would come next so started doing some housework to distract me from what was to come.  At about the thirty minute mark, Ellie's shrill cries pierced through the quiet house.  I removed my hands from the soapy dishwater and headed downstairs to retrieve her.  Not knowing what else to do with her, I sat her down in her bouncy seat and sat down on the kitchen floor right beside her.  I then took out my phone and began playing Ellie some of her favorite acoustic songs.  She ceased crying and began bouncing in tune to the music.  Still, it was obvious from one glance at her eyes that she wasn't feeling well.

At this point, I really realized just how much having a kid can turn a man into a wimp.  I mean, maybe stay-at-home dad isn't the manliest job in the world or anything but I've still got a 'y' chromosome.  As Ellie gently rocked back and forth, chewing on a burp cloth, listening to stuff like 'The Show' and '3 Rounds and a Sound', I realized how my heart just broke when seeing her in that shape.  A lonely tear actually ran down my face to compliment the ones running down Ellie's all afternoon.  Yep, I really am a wimp now.  Either that or I'm still slicing onions on the kitchen floor.  #DaddyWrite

Insert obligatory 'Flight of the Conchords' reference here...



No comments:

Post a Comment