Friday, October 7, 2016

Day 34 - The only time I'll ever use 'Octopus' in a blog



The older that Ellie gets, the more her little personality begins to flourish.  She is becoming more aware of how her emotions can affect those around her.  If she wants attention, all she has to do is bust out a big cheesy grin and people will instantly begin to gush over her and let her know just how adorable she is.  Now, if she wants to be left alone, she basically retreats into a fetal position and hides her face.  And when she's upset, well I'll let you figure that one out.  However, there are certain feelings that she's still not certain how to respond with.  One of those being pain.  And before you ask, no, I am not the one causing pain to the baby.

Thank goodness that Pixar was around to teach me about emotions...
 
Bethany and I have been getting the impression that Ellie is starting to teeth but the last couple of days have been doing more to confirm that belief.  It's already well documented that Ellie loves to suck on her hands.  Well, she's doubled her enjoyment of sucking by now grabbing on to anything near to her including human flesh.  While she hasn't resorted to cannibalism yet, she certainly has sucked on my arm hard enough to cause a hickey.  In case you're wondering, I haven't had a hickey before but I assume that if Ellie continues to suck and bites down hard enough on the same spot on my arm, it will happen.  In addition, just getting her to take a bottle has become more of a draining task than it has been in the past.  She will wrestle it about and even begin screaming in pain from the feel of the bottle in her mouth.  From the research I've done, just eating can cause a baby pain when they are starting to cut teeth.  Of course, that same research neglected to mention the exact time that Ellie would begin teething.  Just that all babies are different blah blah blah...

So Bethany will be doing this soon? She'll rock that blue beehive.

Another thing that Ellie has learned is how to express her likes and dislikes.  And there is nothing in this world that she dislikes more than a cell phone.  She's associated the sight of one with the fact that she doesn't really have my full undivided attention at the moment.  Forget even attempting to get her to pose for a picture or video for long.  It essentially takes two or more people to get a good image of Ellie captured.  Maybe she believe in that old Indian myth that photography traps the person's soul forever inside the camera?  I had this great idea that I was excited about today.  Remember that octopus in France that predicts the World Cup?  I was going to make Ellie do that today with the MLB Postseason.  Assign a team to each of her favorite toys and have her attempt to grab whichever one she wants.  However, once Ellie caught sight of the phone today as I handed her a toy, she completely went off her game and ceased paying attention.  If I've told Ellie once, I've told her a thousand times; if you want to be a YouTube sensation, then you can't get camera shy.  I guess that I can always try again in a few months for the NFL Playoffs using food, right?



One good thing thus far is that Ellie hasn't combined her love of sucking with her dislike of cell phones.  I'm not certain that Verizon covers excessive baby drool on phone warranties.  Not to mention the fact that I don't even own a phone warranty.  #DaddyWrite

No comments:

Post a Comment