Thursday, March 30, 2017

Day 145 - Doctor, Doctor, Give Me the News...



I'm just going to dive right into this today. Doctor's visits are no fun. If you couldn't tell from that simple statement, Ellie had her nine-month checkup yesterday.  

Honestly, going into the appointment, Bethany and I were feeling absolutely wonderful about where our daughter was in terms of her development. She is crawling/climbing over/up everything in sight. We're pretty sure that she's at least mildly intelligent based upon her penchant for exploration, not to mention her desire to watch and figure out exactly how things work. Ellie's even beginning to babble like a mental patient so we may be getting close to her first real word.

We've been absolutely stoked to see Ellie mature and develop so much in a relatively short period of time. However, the thing that we were most excited about was Ellie's growth on the scale. For lack of a better term, Ellie's always been petite. That is especially true when you compare her to other babies in her age range. It's kind of reminiscent of looking at a Yellow Lab sitting next to a Pug. Wait, scratch that last thought. I don't enjoy the idea of comparing my beautiful daughter to one of the world's ugliest canines. 

But Jesse, it's got a little suit on and everything...

Back to the topic. We've finally gotten Ellie's weight to approach the 14 pound mark. Not only that, but the baby's getting quite the little belly on her. Yes, she's still small but everything seemed very proportional to us. It's not like she has a massive head (although she does think highly of herself). So obviously, I rolled into the doctor's office for Ellie's appointment absolutely stoked. Why? Well, I felt like we had finally seen Ellie growing well and just knew that we were going to get a metaphorical pat on the head from the doctor for a job well done.

Either that or I'll give myself a nice head pat. :)

Once Ellie and I arrived at the office yesterday, we went through the normal routines. Check in, watch about 15 minutes of 'Ice Age' in the waiting room, go back to the examination room, strip the baby to her diaper, allow the nurse to take Ellie's temperature, help the nurse measure her head circumference, length, and weight, wrap her up in a blanket, and finally, wait for the doctor to arrive.
Once the doctor came in, it was pretty evident that he was not happy (and therefore, I wouldn't be receiving my metaphorical pat on the head). He immediately voiced his displeasure with the way we were feeding Ellie. And I quote, "I don't know what I need to do to get it through yours and your wife's head that I am very concerned about the rate of growth here. I even had to get Bethany on the phone so that he could speak to her personally.

By the time it was all said and done, we had scheduled an appointment for our family to meet with a child nutritionist and agreed to bring Ellie in for weekly weight checks until our doctor said otherwise. In addition, the doctor told us that if he didn't see the rate of growth he wanted (an ounce a day), he would begin ordering a cavalcade of medical tests to be performed on Ellie. That is until he could find just what was wrong. To which the optimist/realist in me says, "Uh, nothing."

I realize that our doctor is a professional and we are trusting him to care for our child. However, I don't appreciate his alarmist qualities which he apparently possesses in spades. That doesn't even include the lack of respect that he shows me as a stay-at-home dad. It's like he has the belief that I must be incompetent or else I wouldn't be doing so. I've actually been asked if he can trust that I will pass information onto my wife. Seriously dude, why wouldn't I? 

I just have to believe that Ellie's care is in the right hands. As long as he is caring for her health in the proper manner and showing her the appropriate respect, then it really doesn't matter how he treats Bethany and I. At least I guess that's how I feel. Talk to me after the 12-month appointment and I'll let you know.  #DaddyWrite

If only the cast of 'Scrubs' was real...




No comments:

Post a Comment