Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Day 135 - Baby Bracketology with Ellie


One of the most exciting times of the year for sports fans is here.  It's time for March Madness!

I will say that I've found myself slightly lacking interest in the college basketball season this year.  My best guess is that would probably have something to do with the utter lack of competitiveness shown by Mizzou basketball this season.  When you couple that with my utter refusal to hop on a bandwagon for one of the other local teams, it definitely precludes one's ability to 100% enjoy watching the sport.  However, it doesn't matter how little basketball I've watched this season, I'm still filling out my bracket just as I would any other year.  And guess what, I'm still obsessing over every matchup like every other year.  However, there is one thing that is unlike every other year this season.  Or perhaps I should say one person.

One thing about me that most people are aware of by now is that I'm very competitive.  I don't find losing to be very fun (as if many people do).  However, losing is something that I've come to accept when it comes to filling out my bracket.  It's pretty much guaranteed that no one in the world is going to have a perfect bracket.  That being said, even if I don't win, there's nothing saying I can't outpick my friends and family.  So after badgering my friends and family only to get minimal interest this season, Bethany had a great idea whilst I was badgering her.  Simply put that advice was to challenge Ellie to a duel of the brackets and leave her alone.

Duel of the BRACKETS, not "Duel of the Fates".  Sorry Darth Maul.

After the formal challenge was issued to the baby (consisting of a notarized letter on very official-looking stationary), the question remained of how Ellie should make her picks.  At first, I wondered if I could just sit in front of the PC with her and let her click on the mouse.  However, once we went to ahgipahg9uieaphgifuhnapigha9phg.com for the 27th time, I decided that a new plan was in order.  Just kidding, I only let her go to that website nine times before giving up.  With that, Bethany assisted me in brainstorming the perfect way in which Ellie could choose her picks.  Given Ellie's fondness of just playing with pacifiers, we placed two in front of her, audibly announced which one represented which school, and waited for Ellie to pick one up.


While Ellie's picks were definitely all her own doing, I can't say that I have high expectations for her first bracket.  First of all, she has twelve picks favoring a 12-seed or worse to advance including a 16-seeded play-in team over Villanova, the number one seed in the entire tournament.  To top it all off, she has the Dayton Flyers as her ultimate winner.  I mean, they'll have to go through a possible murderer's row of schools including Wichita State, Kentucky, UCLA, and North Carolina just to reach the Final Four  I tried to warn her that it was a bad pick but she just wouldn't listen.  


Now, fast forward and imagine my eventual surprise when Dayton inevitably wins the tourney, Ellie bests my bracket, and holds bragging rights over her father for the next year.  The one thing working in my favor is that she at least will be fairly silent about it and won't really rub it in.  That and when she is right, some network will surely pay us to have her on their March Madness panel next year.  #DaddyWrite
FYI - To follow Ellie's picks round-by-round, check out http://bit.ly/2mPBa8N.

No comments:

Post a Comment