Saturday, March 11, 2017

Day 132 - WHAT DOES THE DADDY SAY?



Everyone's got hobbies.  At least I haven't met many people that don't.  Not to be insensitive, but maybe you don't if you're a homeless panhandler.  Or in that instance, could your job and hobby be the same thing?  BTW, if you couldn't tell, I saw a homeless panhandler this week.  He even had a dog and everything!  Back to the task at hand, one of my hobbies has always been reading.  It doesn't really matter if it's fiction or non-fiction.  If I'm properly motivated and on task, I can sit down and bust out 100 pages in an hour.  Definitely one of those skill sets that was extremely beneficial during my college career.  

Do gifs from 'Beauty and the Beast' result in the forfeiture of my man-card?

I bring this up because one of my goals for Ellie is to instill a love of reading in her.  Obviously, the best way to do so is to read aloud to her now.  While normal protocol would be to start with a fine helping of Dr. Seuss or Eric Carle, I've always been one to buck normal protocol.  Therefore, I find myself reading strange things to her.  Grocery ads, sports stuff (including fantasy), reviews of television shows or movies, interesting news stories, 'Space Jam' fan fiction.  Ok, not the last one if for no other reason than I'm not certain it exists.  I even include Ellie in the reading of my daily devotionals or bible reading times too.

I think I'm depressed that 'Space Jam' fan fiction does exist...
There are times though when Ellie just needs to read one of her own books.  Either because her attention span is too short for something I would choose to read or...well, pretty much just because her attention span is too short for something I would choose to read.  The problem with reading Ellie's books is that they will become redundant at times.  For example, there's only so many times you can read a sweet, little story about a bunny that spent the day hopping around the garden and is now ready for bed before madness sets in.  Therefore, I've found myself figuring out way to entertain myself while reading Ellie's books.

For example, There's a Wocket in my Pocket by Dr. Seuss.  I've found that I actually have a large percentage of the book memorized by now.  If you give me a page, I can normally tell you what's coming next.  Or Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Eric Carle.  I've got a nice little rhythm down now where I like to turn the book into a song.  However, it kind of breaks down whenever I reach the last page.  Spoiler alert, it's a review of all the animals we saw during the book.  Since I can't sing it, I instead try and say them all really fast in one breath.  Easier said than done but still fun.

Conspiracy Theorists are going to run wild with this...

And then, of course, there's Animal Sounds.  Literally the most breathtaking book ever published.  I'm not certain, but the societal implications of this book may have assisted in the tearing down of the Berlin Wall.  #NotHyperbole.  In all seriousness, it's pretty much stuff like "What Does the Cow Say?  Moo."  Now, while it's all well and good that Ellie learns her sounds, by the second or third time through I've lost interest.  So therefore, I've decided to take a cue from Ylvis (yes, with a 'Y') and bust it out in the tune of "What Does the Fox Say?" 
 
WHAT DOES THE COW SAY?
MOO, MOO, MOO, MOO, MOO, MOO, MOO!
MOO, MOO, MOO, MOO, MOO, MOO, MOO!
MOO, MOO, MOO, MOO, MOO, MOO, MOO!
WHAT'S THE COW SAY? (Me reading this book probably should be on YouTube)

I do have a slight fear as a result of this.  Someday when Ellie goes to preschool and is practicing animal sounds, are Bethany and I going to get called in for a special parent-teacher conference because her teacher is worried about Ellie's mental health?  It's not particularly normal for children to practice animal sounds by singing "What Does the Fox Say?".  Or at least not when I was growing up.  Things do tend to change though.  #DaddyWrite


No comments:

Post a Comment