Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Day 85 - #MommyWrite



Something that I always find interesting is how as we get older, our tastes tend to change in many different ways.  For example, when I was younger, I used to abhor biscuits and gravy.  Sure, I love a good biscuit.  I mean, who doesn't?  It was the gravy that gave me pause.  Something about it just seemed so weird.  Where was the protein?  The vegetables?  The fruit?  I felt like I was just eating a puddle of white goop with a bunch of pepper added.  "What's that Mom?  You're having biscuits and gravy for dinner?  Would you fix me a can of Spaghettio's instead?  Thanks!"  Fortunately as I grew older, I became more willing to try new things.  Either I became more bold or someone planked it down in front of me and I didn't want to be rude.  In case you're wondering, the latter is how I discovered the deliciousness that is biscuits and gravy (Thanks Luke!).

MMM, Biscuits and Gravy

Another way that my tastes have changed just in the past few months at home is that I've become a big fan of documentaries.  I like the fact that I don't find myself binge-watching and there is normally a decent stopping point somewhere in the course of it where I can hit the pause button and step away for a while.  I especially love the ' 30 For 30' series.  Since so many of them are on Netflix, I feel like I can always find something new and interesting to watch and learn about.  The one thing about the '30 For 30' series that does bother me is that they are generally one-sided.  There is a clear protagonist and antagonist in the way it is presented despite it not being fiction.  Whenever the final credits roll, I find myself immediately Googling the other side to see if I can find any information pertaining to the story from their point of view.  For example, I'm almost positive that the Russians saw the "Miracle on Ice" U.S. Hockey team as the Galactic Empire whereas they were the Rebel Alliance in our eyes (RIP Carrie Fisher).  I can at least guarantee that they didn't give them a standing ovation like they did for Rocky.

Pretty sure this is the second time this week I've mentioned Soviet Russia in a blog. Wonder if that's a problem.

That's the thing about having a point of view; everyone has one and they are entitled to it.  One thing about #DaddyWrite is that it is fairly one-sided.  Seeing as how Ellie has no verbal ability to share her feelings, she's not really going to be able to assist in making things less one-sided.  However, there is another source that can.  It's Bethany!  After I recently wrote a blog post baring some things that I was struggling with in regards to being a dad, Bethany has been contemplating some of those same issues (and more).  In fact, she finally asked last night if she could share some of her thoughts on my blog.  Since she's my wife and I have to be nice, I couldn't just say, "No, go get your own blog." (jk).  So, it is with great fanfare that I present the inaugural post of #MommyWrite!

"Is she a good baby? This is a question I am frequently asked and honestly the one I hate the most. What makes a baby a good baby vs a bad baby? My sweet little girl is not an easy baby by any means. Does this make her a bad baby? Not at all! Yes she may drive me to tears because I don't know how to help her.  She may cause us to lay in bed at night listening to her scream because there is nothing else we can do for her. She may make me wish she was more laid back like her cousin. She may cause me to be so physically and emotionally exhausted that I question how much more I can take. BUT she is still not a bad baby. She may be a high strung, difficult and often frustrating little girl but she is my little girl and I wouldn't trade her for anything. So is she a good baby? Yes she is a good sweet little girl but that doesn't mean she is easy. "


No comments:

Post a Comment