Monday, December 19, 2016

Day 80 - Gotta Shed That Baby Weight Somehow...



I hate cold.  I really hate cold.  I hate cold so much that it's unbelievably wrong to hate something so much.  Ok, that more or less describes my feelings about cold.  This past weekend, KC was host to some pretty epic wintery conditions between the freezing rain, snow, and the subzero temperatures.  Needless to say, it has somewhat impacted my ability to get outside.  Now, I find myself suffering from a bit of cabin fever today.  If it was just me, myself, and I, then I probably would have taken the opportunity to escape the house for a little bit since the main roads are all good now.  However, that it not meant to be.  Why not?  #BecauseTheBaby.  So, of course, I find myself trying to come up with ways to entertain/educate myself and now I want to share some of my findings.

Insert token 'Frozen' reference here....

Since we reached November and December, my ability to get outside and exercise during the course of the day has been somewhat hampered.  Originally it was just the normal cooling off of weather conditions and me not really wanting Ellie to be exposed to certain elements for too long.  Now, it's more due to the drastic inability to push our stroller through snow and ice and maintain my footing.  I can just picture it now.  Me walking along just gazing up at birds flying overhead, whistling "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" while pushing Ellie down the sidewalk.  All of a sudden, my feet fly out from under me as I fall forward onto snow and ice.  The perpetual motion of my fall and the stroller's wheels propelling Ellie forward at speeds unimaginable to places unseen as I groan and lie in agony, nursing my hypothetical head injury.

Man, this lady's going to fall on her face and there's not even any ice or snow...

Now, obviously this is not likely to happen if for no other reason than I would likely need a set of snow shoes for myself and a way to mount skis to Ellie's stroller in order to make it up and down the sidewalks.  It's important to make certain that I'm keeping poor Ellie safe and sound though so the walking idea is out.  But it's important to note that this "dad bod" doesn't come naturally.  I've got to work at it, clearly.  ;)  So, I did a little research to find out exercises to do with the baby to go along with what I've already been doing which is pretty much a dumbbell press and a kettle ball squat lift.  Only instead of the weights in question, I make do with a baby.  So, my discoveries are as follows.
  • ·         Baby crunches - While laying on the ground, place Ellie sitting on my stomach, and proceed to do crunches fifteen to twenty times.  No one enjoys crunches to begin with but maybe it helps a little with a cute baby laughing in your face every time you sit up
  • ·         Baby overhead press - Sit 'Indian style' and hold Ellie vertically out in front of me.  Lift her up and down ten times.  I already tended to do this one just because she likes it so I'm stoked to find out it's mildly considered exercise.
  • ·         Plies - I don't know what this is and was actually more confused after reading about it.  So, uh, yeah.  I'm going to skip this one.
  • ·         Lunge - Instead of the baby lunging at my face as she likes to do, I lunge with the baby.  There's a Yakov Smirnov joke in there somewhere; some assembly may be required to mine it.
  • ·         Baby Dancing - Gently swaying back and forth with the baby.  There's got to be something to spice it up though.  Perhaps the Chicken Dance or the Electric Slide?

Think Ellie could do "The Carlton" yet?

Now, these seem to all be legitimate methods I could use to work out with the baby.  However, I feel like it may discredit me a bit to admit the true source of my reference.  But hey, whenever you choose to Google, that's how you end up finding articles along the lines of '8 New-Mom Workout Moves to Do With Baby'.  Men can use those too, right?  #DaddyWrite

In Soviet Russia, baby lunges at you...



No comments:

Post a Comment