Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Day 73 - Holiday Decorating for Infants 101



Um, sorry.  Not for accidently referring to Captain Picard as Captain Kirk.  Although, it was interesting to hear from multiple outlets that I needed to expand my Star Trek knowledge.  I'm actually more sorry about the minor lie that I may have told you yesterday.  I said that I was going to try to write about things pertaining to my days alone with Ellie.  However, sometimes there are just more impressive stories to write about after Bethany gets home or on a weekend.  Thus is the case today.  So please settle in, buckle your seatbelts, and read aloud as Ellie...discovers...Christmas.  

Captain's horse...Star Date...sometime.

I admit that there may have been a bit of excessive excitement on my part but I really can't help it.  One of my favorite things of late is seeing how Ellie reacts to new situations.  I'm relatively certain that each day is new and exciting for her in some way.  So of course, I'm striving to come up with ways to continually introduce her to something new each and every day.  For example, I actually had Ellie sit and watch as I cleaned out the refrigerator.  She was plenty fascinated with it between me holding her up and letting her watch for a bit and also me showing her each thing I pulled out and explaining what it was as I set it on the counter.  While there's clearly a ton of excitement in me pulling out a carton of eggs and having the existential question of "What came first? The chicken or the egg?" with my five month old, luckily there are things in her world more eventful than that.


Last night as Bethany arrived home from work, we decided that since it was now December, it was finally fair game to decorate from Christmas.  I say 'finally' because I view anytime after Halloween as being fair game.  I just love the Christmas season so much.  Between the music, the lights, and the cookies, it really is the most wonderful time of the year (See what I did there?).  As is the case each year, step one in decorating for Christmas involves setting up the tree.  After I retrieved the tree from storage in our subbasement, Ellie watched on in fascination as we assembled the tree, piece by piece.  Once the tree was assembled, Bethany removed the lights from the box and plugged them into the wall to test.  Ellie's jaw dropped as she gazed at the multi-colored strands.  Red, green, blue, yellow, and pink specks reflecting in her eyes.  Her hands grasping at the strands and putting them to her lips, only for them to be removed time and time again by Bethany.

Once the lights were wrapped, it was time to hang ornaments.  Since Bethany and I got married, one of our traditions each year has been to purchase a Hallmark Keepsake ornament representing a big event for the year (Before you ask; No, Bethany did not let me get a Salvador Perez ornament in 2015).  As we removed each ornament from its own box in order of years, we explained to Ellie aloud the significance of each one.  After the last of our ornaments were added to the tree, I remember that my mother had purchased one for Ellie in honor of her first Christmas.  Picking Ellie up from her seated position on the floor, I placed the ornament in her tiny hand and directed it towards an open branch on the tree.  Ellie's reaction was to direct the ornament instead towards her mouth.  The third try would finally be the charm as Ellie was able to help place her first ornament on the tree.

"Hey Dad, I was going to eat that!"

With this, we would turn off all of the lights in our living room and just gaze at our Christmas tree illuminating the otherwise dark room.  Looking at Ellie, we could see the excitement and joy on her face as she was mesmerized by the lights.  It really made me think a little about the simple things of the season and how I should strive to see things through Ellie's eyes more often.  #DaddyWrite

No comments:

Post a Comment