Thursday, December 8, 2016

Day 74 - We're talking about feet here...


I've always been one to dislike silence.  Perhaps I should rephrase that.  If I have a pounding headache or am taking a nap, then OK, silence is good.  The rest of the time, I prefer there to be some semblance of noise about.   One of the problems with being a stay-at-home dad is that it actually really quiet most of the time.  Like creepily quiet.  Like "the scenes in horror movies right before someone is going to die" kind of quiet (Did I remember to lock the doors today?).  For the most part, I've had to rely on a television or a radio running in the background just to give me some white noise.  Or I've just sat around singing to myself, or Ellie if she's awake.  However, I don't really have to do that anymore.

Go take a bite out of crime somewhere else, McGruff!

While Ellie's been able to make noises for quite some time, it's normally been limited to variations of cries, screams, and the occasional cute baby noise.  She's recently begun to diversify her sounds a lot more.  In fact, if she knows for a fact you're talking to her, she will actually fill any pauses in the conversation with replies.  Or even yelp like a dog during the barking parts of 'Who Let the Dogs Out?'.  For example...



While it's really fun that she's reached this stage, I think there is definitely a part of her that wishes she could communicate more effectively.  She will generally only reply like this for brief periods of time before her frustrations set in because, well, because I have no idea what she's saying.  I know though that in time, she's going to learn to speak in real words and sentences.  Then if she's anything like her dad, she really never will shut up.  And only about 23% of what she says will be worthwhile.  In case you're wondering, that number was calculated using very, very scientific methods.



Fortunately for us, during those times when quiet is preferred, Ellie has a foolproof method of ensuring that is what occurs.  What is that method you ask?  It's putting her foot in her mouth.  Literally putting her foot in her mouth.  Over the past couple of weeks, anytime we set Ellie down on her changing table, she immediately begins stretching her arms towards her feet with all of her might.  Luckily for her, her legs are really long so she has the ability to bring her feet to her hands.  During the average diaper change, I probably take her feet out of her hands at least four times.  Wait, maybe I should double check that...
  • ·         Once to take off her pants and socks
  • ·         Once to remove the diaper
  • ·         Once to replace the diaper
  • ·         Once to put her pants and socks back on
Ok, I had it correct.  I didn't want to lie; that's not kosher.  While the foot game has been entertaining, it reached a new level today  as I was actually having to remove her foot from her mouth for the first time ever.  Props to her for having that kind of flexibility though.  I remember always feeling really lame when I was younger because I wasn't as flexible as the other kids in P.E.  I could barely touch my feet with my arms fully extended without my knees bending under the strain.  Ellie won't have to live with that shame though.  As long as she keeps practicing putting her feet in her own mouth, she'll never be a pariah in gym class and she won't want to quit exercising.  And isn't that what's best for her in the long run?  #DaddyWrite

Note to self, don't let Ellie take life lessons from 'Friends'.

No comments:

Post a Comment