Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Day 78 - What if Rodney Atkins sang about cleaning vacuums?



Believe it or not, I'm a very competitive person by nature.  No matter what the battleground is, I'm stricken with an overwhelming desire to win.  Board games?  I love them because I always feel like I have a shot at winning.  I try to analyze the concept of the game and figure out if there's anything I can use in the rules to make it go my way more quickly.  That is unless it's something old-school like checkers, backgammon, or mancala.  Bethany will smoke me every time without even breaking a mental sweat.  Video games?  If I'm playing in person against a buddy, I definitely want to win.  If I'm playing online against a random opponent, well, I want to win, but I'll probably lose to some middle-schooler in their mom's basement.  Sports?  Well, let's just say that I'm not super-duper athletic so I get kind of bummed out at failure, but I'm still going to try hard to win.  Moral of the story, besides me not being good at anything?  I'm going to try and win at anything I do, even if it's a non-expressed race to address the most Christmas cards (By the way Bethany, I'm pretty sure I won).

My competitive streak will hopefully never take me to this place...
 
Unfortunately, one part of me being competitive is that I'm already attempting to live vicariously through my daughter.  Um, what does that mean Jesse?  Well, I'm glad that you asked, faithful blog reader.  First, a little background.  Ellie is one of many children that we know born this year.  The (in)exact number is around eighty-six if you're wondering.  So of course, we're extremely excited that Ellie is going to have so many little friends to grow up with.  Bethany may or may not have already mapped out the next three years of play-dates on her calendar.  I may also be working on ideas of how to scare the inevitable boyfriends that will show up on our doorstop to take Ellie out on a date.  "You will open the car door for her.  You will open the door at the restaurant for her.  You will show her the utmost respect.  You will not try and make a move at the movie theater.  I still will be right here cleaning this vacuum when you get her back here at 10:00." (I don't have a gun so the vacuum is the best I can do unless I want to sharpen the kitchen knives instead).


So part of what comes with raising a child is watching for milestones.  Rolling over, crawling, standing, walking, etc.  The problem with this is that I'm already having my competitive side come out regarding milestones with Ellie and other babies her same age.  I'm wanting her to reach every major milestone first.  I mean, I already have visions of Ellie becoming grand champion of the baby crawling races.  That's a thing, right?  Ellie's cousin is only three weeks older than her, but I forget three weeks is a lot in baby time.  So while he's sitting up on his own and feeding himself, I tend to look at how Ellie's not doing those things and get nervous about how she may be falling behind.  Then, I find myself looking ahead at milestones that she could hit first.  There's that nasty competitive side at play again.


I know that I need to start just focusing on my own child rather than everyone else's even if it's hard at times.  If I'm constantly comparing her, even at this young age, then I'm going to start setting goals for her that she may not be able to live up to.  And thus, she will hate me when she gets older for all of the undue pressure I've put on her.  Then, she'll never come home from college for Christmas break unless I bribe her with a fancy car.  Oh no, I'll be living in the 1998 Christmas classic, 'I'll Be Home for Christmas'.  #DaddyWrite


No comments:

Post a Comment