Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Day 371 - Proper Care of Inanimate Animals (Day 370, Part II)


I like Target quite a bit. Do you like Target? I'm going to bet you do. It's like a nicer, cleaner, smaller-scale Walmart. What's not to love?

Well, there is that whole pesky meme about Target that seems to be pretty accurate. You know, the one where you walk into Target for one item and inevitably end up spending $278.53. For the record, in my experience, it hasn't been anywhere near that much money spent. However, it does seem that I can't step foot in Target without spending more than I need to. 


Ok, so while I've established that I apparently now have a love-hate relationship with Target (or at least my wallet does), Ellie differs from her daddy in that regard. You see, Ellie has a love-LOVE relationship with Target and it's all due in part to one thing.  Or maybe I should say due in part to one fictional canine. 

Given how you're likely a smart, intelligent reader, you realize by now that I'm referring to Bullseye, Target's loveable mascot. It's not like he's roaming the aisles, ready to come and greet you at your beck and call, but there are signs and images of his visage all over the store. Need an example? Look no further than Bullseye's Playground, formerly known as the Dollar Spot, right as you enter the store.

Mostly an accurate representation of Bullseye's Playground at our local Target

In Ellie's eyes, Bullseye's Playground cannot be missed any time we visit the store. That probably has less to do with the actual items for sale and more to do with the cartoonish Bullseye mascots that are now a staple of the section. In fact, on our most recent visit, Ellie found herself completely overcome by her desire to touch his comically oversized snout. 

As always, I strapped Ellie into a shopping cart for our trek around the store. However, once she saw Bullseye, she began saying "dog" and straining against her restraints with all of her might. Side note, I'm really enjoying the phrasing of 'straining against her restraints.' Finally, I decided to give in and unstrap Ellie from the cart. Not only that, but I lifted Ellie up onto my shoulders, allowing her to rub Bullseye's nose as much as she wanted. 

C'mon Bullseye! You can ride in the cart with me.

Now, in hindsight, I probably should have realized it's not exactly normal to lift your daughter up to touch a marketing display of a dog in Target. In case I needed additional confirmation of that being the case, the stares and occasional laughs by other shoppers helped with that. Finally, I brought Ellie down from my shoulders (against her wishes) while gazing up at the streaks left on the dust-covered snout of Bullseye in her wake. At that point, all I could do was chuckle at how much poor Bullseye needed a good bath.

While I figured we were done with Bullseye for our trip, I was pretty much wrong about that as we encountered another Bullseye roughly three feet away from the original. At least Bullseye II's (as he will hence forth be referred to as) was unreachable for poor Ellie even if she would have been on my shoulders. Poor thing. All she could do was sadly wave at his wagging tail sticking out of a box as we walked by to complete our mission. 

You know, that and make her many objections known vocally to every other shopper in Target. #DaddyWrite


P.S. I just discovered during the editing and posting of this blog that Target apparently sells stuffed versions of Bullseye the Dog. I think I know what Ellie's getting for her birthday now.

No comments:

Post a Comment