Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Day 360 - Daddy Abandons the Family (for a Weekend)



Every so often, I decide to challenge myself with a blog post. Maybe it's by being extra-vulnerable and talking about a difficult topic. Maybe it's by trying to walk that tight rope between heartfelt and humorous which is more difficult than you as a reader may think. I should probably put a disclaimer on that statement and say that at least I think it's heartfelt and humorous. Who could forget that time I tried to challenge myself to see how many 'Back to the Future' references I could fit into one blog post. Probably not one of my better efforts, but at least I enjoyed it.


Now, I find myself challenged in a brand new capacity as this past weekend marked the second annual Northland Baptist Church men's retreat. While at said retreat, I received a challenge from Ellie's "Uncle" Malachi to write a blog post about another friend, Randy Maltbia. According to Malachi, my weekend should have consisted of following poor Randy around nonstop, even to the point of snapping pictures of him in his sleep. Taking Randy's past in the U.S. Air Force into account, I decided that it might not be in my best interest to do something creepy like that (though it didn't stop me from taking a quick shot of him as I left the retreat just for the sole purpose of awkwardly shoving in this post).

The aforementioned Randy Maltbia

Instead, I decided it might be entertaining to give people an inside look at what kind of things actually happen on a men's retreat. You may not believe it, but a men's retreat does not actually consist of chasing wild buffalo with spears across the plains. Well, some men's retreats might but not Northland's. Instead of chasing wild buffalo, we chase fun with the aid of ATVs, guns, video games, ping-pong, pool, and board games. 

For a short play-by-play of the weekend, my buddy, Dustin, and I drove up together, leaving Kansas City around 3:00 on Friday and reaching our destination around 4:30ish. What was our destination you ask? Cainsville, MO, home to what we affectionately call "The Barn", a lavish multi-million dollar barn built by a very well-to-do Cerner employee as a place to get away from it all. Lucky for Dustin and I, we were among the first to arrive which meant we were able to stake out our lodging for the weekend early from the available areas before taking the Polaris RZR out for a drive as we knew it would be harder to get a  chance to do so on Saturday. In hindsight that was a good idea as the RZR suffered a broken tie-rod on Saturday, sidelining it for the rest of the weekend.

Once we got back from our exciting ride through the countryside, people had slowly started to filter into the barn. As Malachi and I had already discussed "bunking" our hammocks we packed, I headed down to the storage room to get my hammock hung below his before joining the rest of our group for dinner. Following dinner, we headed into the first of our weekend sessions, led by Matt Miller of New City Church. Our first two sessions with identifying problems in our lives keeping us from being right with God or others and how to eliminate that sin in order to better see fruit in our lives.

Home sweet hammock (for the record, the red one is mine)

Following that session, it was time to take part in plenty of board games and ping-pong, as well as conversations with other guys, before finally calling it a night around 1:00 am. For the record, if you ever find yourself sleeping in a hammock made out of parachute material in a storage room, just assume it might get cold during the night and have something more than just a light blanket handy. I know this because I had to get out of said hammock at 4:00 am to find my sleeping bag just so I could stay warm.

The next morning consisted of breakfast and a few games of Scrum before heading to session 3. Oh, you want to know what Scrum is? Easy, played on a pool table using the cueball and one other ball, you use your hands to sling the cueball into the other ball in an attempt to hit it. Once you hit the cueball, the next person in line then goes and so on. If you miss the ball, then you get a letter. Once you get five letters, you're out and now you know the rules of Scrum.

Where was I, oh yes, session three. This session entitled "Don't Be a Knucklehead" had a major focus on examining how we receive the Word of God. Is it argumentative, quick to give up, overwhelmed by things of the world, or open to God's  role in our lives. Following this session, we shortly broke up into small groups to discuss. This didn't last long for yours truly as I was on the lunch team for the day. My group, consisting mostly of youth and youth workers, got lunch pulled together with nary a hitch. The menu? Fancy grilled cheese (with bacon) and soups. 

Pre-session worship time.

Once everything was finally cleaned up, it was time to play for the rest of the afternoon. It may not shock you to hear that me with my short attention span spent the afternoon going back and forth between Scrum, VR video games, and putting together a puzzle (that one's for my brother-in-law!). After dinner for the evening  (taco bar!), it was time to head to the fourth session, "I Don't Want to be Right." The main theme for this session revolved in part around the concept of what does it look like to seek wisdom in our lives and in what areas of my life should I seek said wisdom.

Following session four (and the accompanying small groups), I found my way downstairs to the board game table where I would spend most of the evening playing large group games with a multitude of people. I finally decided to call it a night around 12:30 am and retreated to my hammock accordingly. Lucky for me, adding my sleeping bag and pillow to the hammock blessed me with an epic night's sleep.

Day three began with assorted pastries and a breakfast burrito station. Once breakfast was in the books, it was time for me to pack some of my belongings up before heading to our fifth and final session, "A Faithful Follower." This session strove to drive home how practicing the concepts of lordship, maturity, accountability, ownership, and Kingdom living in our lives will help us to call our lives a successful journey. Once this session came to a close, it was time to clean up "The Barn" and ultimately leave to head home.

Even though this event has only been going on for two years, it has already become something I really look forward to each year. Not only is it deeply encouraging but it gives me the opportunity to build friendships with people in my church that I may not get to talk to as often. Of course, it also gives me the chance to build on existing friendships to make them even deeper. If there are any guys reading this who are interested in participating next year, I highly suggest you do so. 

Now, if there are any women reading this who are interested in participating next year, I highly suggest you consider the women's retreat. That being said, I don't have any information for you on that front. Sorry. #DaddyWrite

I can confirm without a shadow of a doubt that a men's retreat is in fact different than a women's retreat.

No comments:

Post a Comment