Monday, March 19, 2018

Day 370 - Proper Preparation of Play-Doh Platters


I can only imagine what it's like to experience the world as a toddler does. I'm guessing that every single day seems brand new and overwhelming in a variety of ways. The sights, the smells, and the tastes probably all combine for a pretty epic experience. 

However, there are definitely downfalls to experiencing the world as a toddler does. Obviously, there's that whole lack of complete sentences thing. One also can't forget about the inability to use a toilet either. However, I would say chief among the downfalls would be something I like to refer as "not knowing what you don't know." 

Man, I thought maybe I had broke new ground with that "not knowing what you don't know" thing.

I know that in order to fully support my hypothesis, I need to be able to present legitimate evidence as to why I feel that way. Lucky for me, Ellie decided to provide me with an example that I feel more than support my theory.

First, we must flashback to this morning. Between the cold and the rain, it's obvious that playing outside wasn't really a possibility for today. However, that didn't mean Ellie and I had to remain cooped up in the house. Instead, we chose to head to the library this morning for Toddler Story Time at 9:30. 

It should be said that our experience was a little different than normal with only three other kids in Ellie's age range there. That meant that Ellie was much more comfortable than normal as she tends to be slightly spooked by large groups of people, especially when kids older than her are among them. 

While most of the activities were the same old thing, the closing activity changed things up a little by introducing a new concept to little Ellie: Play-Doh. I made sure to study my daughter's face intently as I opened up the jar to reveal the orange substance inside. Curiosity and confusion spread across her face as I slapped the Play-Doh down on the table and began rolling it flat. 

At this point, Ellie decided that maybe, just maybe, the Play-Doh wouldn't hurt her and therefore, it was safe to touch. Once her shaky finger finally made contact, she turned and stared at me to confirm that what she was doing was right. I smiled back at her to reassure her that it was indeed safe to play with. We then spent the next few minutes using the cookie cutters provided to make any number of shapes you can imagine.

Finally, as time went on, Ellie's curiosity began to take control. First, she grabbed hold of the ball of Play-Doh, lifting it towards her mouth to take a bite. The result, me intercepting the ball and returning it to the table where we continued to play. That didn't stop Ellie's curiosity though as she decided next to divide my attention in order to achieve her goal.

Ellie strategically (at least I like to think so) divided her Play-Doh into two piles, one near me and one on the other side of Ellie. As we played with the ball closest to me, I noticed Ellie continually eyeing the ball on the other side, just looking for an opening to sneak a taste. Finally, the moment arrived. Ellie had handed me the ball of Play-Doh and the container, essentially asking me to put it away. As I did so, she quickly lifted the ball to her mouth attempting a bite. Don't worry as I intercepted the ball again.

However, what I didn't know was that after our time playing with the Play-Doh, there were small remnants left on the table I hadn't been paying attention to. Unfortunately Ellie had been. Before I knew what was happening, Ellie swiped her hand across the table, grabbing a tiny piece of Play-Doh, and placing it directly in her mouth. I tried in vain to pry her mouth open and extricate the contents only to find that it was already gone down her esophagus. Lucky for us, Play-Doh is Non-Toxic and made of wheat byproducts according to the label. 

That being said, I still feel like it's a parenting fail on my part to let my daughter consume Play-Doh. However, based upon the reactions of other parents there, I just achieved a special milestone in parenting. Although, the more I think about it, it doesn't seem like one for the scrapbook. That's true, right? #DaddyWrite

Someone please confirm to me that this isn't Ellie's future now.


No comments:

Post a Comment