Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Day 320 - Two Stories and a Lie



I've had these kind of days before. The ones where I definitely have stories to tell that are moderately decent. You know, the kind that might elicit minor smiles and/or grimaces. Either is good.

Ok, back to the stories to tell. I have stories. However, neither is really long enough to make up a blog in itself. That leaves me in the unenviable position of attempting in vain to come up with some form of connection between the two in order to piece together a coherent narrative.  And well, I could strive to make that happen (again) or I could just tell two distinct stories with no overlap and call it good. I think I'm going to take the second option.

'cause the haters gonna hate, hate, hate?
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away is NOT when/where our first story takes place. Instead, it simply occurred at some point between 10:15 and 11:45 at our local pediatrician's office. Never fear, Ellie's not sick. Ok, she does have a little cold but that wasn't the reason for said appointment. Instead, it was just time for her 18-month wellness exam. 

Normally when these appointments crop up, we're generally in and out of the doctor's office in under 40 minutes. Today, that 40 minute time frame was elevated to somewhere in the neighborhood of an hour and half. Something to do with every parent and their brother (is that a workable phrase?) scheduling appointments for their child on the first business day of the new year (Oh yeah, Happy New Year to all seven of my readers). 

Now, if you've ever tried to entertain a toddler in a 64-square-foot room for more than ten minutes, it's not an easy task. That probably is why Ellie ended up wandering around the room for most of our time there clad in nothing but a diaper, her winter boots, and a pink stocking hat; something I sorely regret not getting photographic evidence of.


The good thing about being stuck in an exam room for that long is that it gave me a good opportunity to test Ellie on her animal sounds.  While she has long known sounds such as "Woof," "Meow," and "Baa," I'm always curious to see what else she has added to her repertoire.  So with that, I began slowly working through all of the animals to see what exactly she could remember. 

Now, I don't want you to think I was just sitting there in total silence if Ellie didn't know one. She's always certain to respond with a hearty "Baa" if that's the case. It's pretty much the equivalent of answering 'C' on a multiple choice exam. Eventually you'll get something right if you don't deviate. 

After several resounding "Baa's", none of which answered the question, "What does the sheep say?", I decided to throw Ellie a curveball. "Ellie, what does the rooster say?" With that, Ellie crinkles up her face slightly and cocks her head towards the ceiling as if to reflect the action of being deep in thought. Finally, she turns to me with a ear-to-ear grin, replying with a resounding "Cock-a-cock-a-cock-a-doo!" While that answer would likely never be good enough for Jeopardy, I tend to grade Ellie on a slight curve and responded with thunderous applause and a hearty "Good job!".

I contractually must say here that Alan Tudyk is a national treasure...

Side note, in case you're wondering, Ellie now finds herself in the 51st percentile for weight and the 30th percentile for weight. We (meaning Bethany and I, as well as her doctors) are so happy with those stats considering the struggle in getting Ellie to gain weight at a consistent pace that I won't even mention the fact that her head size is still only in the 9th percentile. Girl's got a small head, what can I say?

Ok, now I realize I did in fact have enough material for one story, one blog post. However I did make you a promise so I present to you the second story in ten words or less: Ellie struggles to fit puzzle pieces inside one stacking cup.

Hey, look at that, ten words exactly! When I make a promise, I make a promise. #DaddyWrite

I just felt like randomly posting a 'Community' gif here because I could...


No comments:

Post a Comment