Thursday, December 28, 2017

Day 318 - Sockapocolypse III: Reunited and It Feels So Good



I've long enjoyed the concept of hidden treasure. The idea of something of intrinsic value lost for generations before finally being rediscovered by some intrepid adventurer. For that reason, stories about treasure hunting have always appealed to me. That's probably the same reason that Bethany and I initially took up letterboxing as well. Just to be preemptive since I realize most people haven't heard of letterboxing, it's essentially geocaching without the need of a GPS. All you need is a stamp, ink pad, a little paper, and some instructions via the internet.

I'm aware I lack most of the physical and mental abilities to become an epic adventurer discovering some long-lost treasure. I don't speak multiple languages, am good with puzzles, or can do a pull-up unassisted (maybe someday). It goes without saying I'll never be Indiana Jones, Dirk Pitt, Ben Gates or Nathan Drake. I'll never even be Travis from 'The Rundown' (Bonus points if you know that reference). However, that doesn't keep me from enjoying quests to find, let's say, less-valuable treasures in my own life. 

"Hey, remember your friend, Mr. Thunder? How 'bout his buddy, Mr. Lightning?"

Flashback to Wednesday of this week. As you likely well know, Kansas City, already blanketed in snow, is subject to single-degree temperatures to boot. Let's acknowledge the fact that most people would not choose to step foot in said conditions unless absolutely necessary. You know, reasons such as work, urgent grocery runs, or in the case of yours truly, a dentist appointment. Luckily for Ellie, Bethany's presence at home meant she didn't have to come out on this adventure with me. 

Knowing the conditions that awaited me outside, I took great care to bundle up appropriately. Warm jeans, tall socks, and hoodie under my winter coat for starters. One final step to ensure my warmth was necessary; my insulated hiking boots. As most would probably do with boots covered in a wintery-slush mix, I leave them in a place where they can't really make a mess. That being our subbasement. With everything else ready to go, I headed down the stairs to grab my boots. Upon grabbing them, I headed back up the stairs to our family room and sat down to put them on.

If you've never tried to put on shoes with a toddler in the room, take my word for it when I tell you it's not easy. As I was tying up one boot, Ellie snatched the other from the floor beside me and began running around the room happily waving it above her head. After plenty of prompting from both Bethany and me, Ellie finally returned the boot to me, dropping it on the ground at my feet, tread up. As I flipped over the boot, I was absolutely floored by the discovery of what was underneath.



To fully explain to you what that was, I need to take you back to Spring of 2017. Specifically Wednesday, March 8, 2017. As you may remember, Ellie and I had been spending a lot of time in our hammock, enjoying the beauty of the outdoors. At the end of our hammocking adventure for the day, I was wrought with despair to find something was missing. Despite all of my searching, I could not locate that precious item. 

At least that was true until yesterday as I lifted up my boot to see that long-lost item looking up at me. What was that item you may ask? Simple. Ellie's best-fitting sock! The best that I can figure, Ellie kicked her foot just right on our trip back inside from the hammock on that fateful day right as we passed by my winter boots leading to the sock gently falling inside one of them. Upon the discovery of the sock, I immediately called out to my wife to come and look. As she appeared at the top of the stairs, she was immediately overcome by intense laughter at the sight of the long-lost sock.

At long last, finally, the Sockapocolypse had achieved resolution. And all without the help of Chuck Norris...#DaddyWrite

Reunited and it feels so good...







No comments:

Post a Comment