Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Day 304 - Infant Lingusitics 201



You would think in a blog based upon the exploits of my daughter, I would never hurt for material. However, you would be mistaken. The truth instead is that there are certainly times I find myself struggling to come up with something new. Maybe it's because Ellie's not really doing anything new or interesting. Maybe it's because I'm not interested in whatever topic I could potentially glean out of the day's activities. Maybe I'm just not wanting to come across to my readership base as being grumpy and bitter (Hey, sometimes that is true).

There is an alternative I can pursue though. In this instance, I find myself looking at where Ellie currently stands in her development. Then, I look back at my list of past blog posts until I find exactly what I'm looking for: potential for a sequel. In this instance, the long awaited Second Edition to The Ellie Holt Complete Dictionary and Thesaurus.

Not my baby....

As you may recall, by the time of her last wellness exam, Ellie needed to have five words down for her to pass said exam. While she was saying things at the time, Bethany and I may have been taking certain liberties by calling them 'words'. For the record, I'm still not 100% certain whether to include animal sounds as legitimate words or not. 

Lucky for us, these aren't really concerns Bethany and I have to be worried about any longer. In the span of a couple of weeks, Ellie's vocabulary has advanced by leaps and bounds. We've always known she had a relatively large vocabulary just by her comprehension and reaction towards what we say to her. Until recently though, we had been slightly concerned on the actual speaking front. What's that? You need examples? Why, of course I'll provide some.


  • ·         Dada - Primarily utilized as a short form on occasion for the more popular "Dadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadada"; Also doubles as Ellie's favorite word at this time (much to her mother's chagrin).
  • ·         Mama - Utilized to refer to Bethany in a non-formal fashion; despite the fact Ellie can indeed say this, for any wondering as to how often word is used, please reference the phrases "when pigs fly" and "once in a blue moon".
  • ·         Shoe - Simply put, used to refer to Ellie's shoe; may be used to describe either the right or left; sounds remarkably similar to a certain curse word used to describe excrement (potential to cause issues in a public forum in the future).
  • ·         Read - Self-explanatory, used to identify Reed Richards, aka Mr. Fantastic of the Fantastic Four; may also be used to request that a book be read to her.
  • ·         Cup - Used when Ellie is requesting liquid refreshment to be placed into enclosed container suitable for consuming in a spill-proof manner; sadly not used to refer to the NASCAR Cup Series
  • ·         Cereal - Despite best efforts to teach Ellie to say Cheerios or the simpler "Os", she has instead picked up on the broader term of cereal; likely will be less confusing for people to understand at she grows older.
  • ·         Assorted animal noises - "Huhh" (dog), "Moww" (cat), "Baa" (sheep, cow, frog, parakeet, raccoon, tiger, elephant, camel, and butterfly). 


I'm certain there are plenty of other words I am forgetting at this point in time. However, the point remains that Ellie's vocabulary has grown by leaps and bounds in a relatively small period of time. Given the subject matter at play here, I feel it's appropriate to end this post the same way I ended 'Infant Linguistics 101'. 

As is the case with any dictionary or thesaurus, this will be continually updated as time passes.  I must ensure that all people know what Ellie is saying at all times.  The last thing that I want is for my baby to unintentionally offend people with such salty language.  #DaddyWrite



No comments:

Post a Comment