Monday, February 20, 2017

Day 119 - My Venn Diagram of Reasons to Make a Venn Diagram



I'm currently engaging in a very scientific study.  Hypothesis will be formulated.  Maybe I'll figure out some kind of super-scientific experiment that may or may not produce results.  Afterwards, I'll make myself a nice Venn diagram to compare and contrast things.  Oh wait, that one's not part of the scientific process.  That's more of an English class kind of thing I think although I might have used one in a math class once (I think the same math class where part of my grade was based on how well I drew a picture of Simba).  

I love that I just found the picture of Simba I worked from online...

Anyway, once all of that's done, then I'll figure out if my hypothesis was actually correct or if I need to start over at square one with a brand new hypothesis.  Oh yeah, you may want to know what my experiment is all about.  Simply put, I'm trying to figure out two things: if stubbornness and bullheadedness are the same thing and if they are indeed two separate things, then which is Ellie afflicted with.

A little context for your reading pleasure.  Ellie is in the midst of trying to learn to crawl.  If you're looking for a current grade on her progress, I'd probably give her a solid 'C'.  She can get herself up to her knees from basically any position with no problems (I haven't tested this while hanging her upside down and likely won't).  Where she  runs into difficulties is once she reaches her knees.  One of two things will happen.  Sometimes, she will end up moving backwards across the room in an attempt to go forwards.  The more likely scenario is that she rocks back and forth, back and forth, back and forth until dramatically falling flat on her face.  It's sad, but hey, that's life.

This may or may not have been my reaction at the end of a certain college class...


Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited for Ellie to learn to crawl.  I truly believe it's going to be fun to watch her explore all of her surroundings in a new fashion (even if it does mean we have to baby-proof).  It's hard to watch her go through the process of learning right now because she is her own worst enemy.  She will actually drive herself to tears when the frustration sets in as she's trying to learn.  What I've learned is that I have to step in and find some kind of distraction for her when I see that happening.

Today was no exception.  I first tried to distract her with various toys (and even the remote control which she's not supposed to have) but nothing would work.  She would continually flip back to her stomach, push up, and attempt to crawl.  Finally, I decided a change of scenery would do her well.  So, in what seems to be a once-a-month affair, I loaded her up in the car to head to the radio station to pick up a prize (Yay for free hockey tickets).  

The Idaho Steelheads?  Prestigious...

Very quickly on, I knew I had made the right decision.  As I drove across the Broadway Bridge, I heard the sound of sweet baby laughs.  I peeked in the rearview mirror to see her tossing her stuffed elephant, Evy, around her car seat with a huge smile on her face.  Even though the trip turned out to mostly be in vain (who closes a radio station on Presidents' Day anyway?), it was worth it to see Ellie in such a happy state instead of watching her struggle relentlessly.

The lone problem is that I find myself still trying to figure out if Ellie is stubborn, bullheaded, or some combination of the two.  I actually believe that the two might be the same thing, but seeing as how my Webster's Dictionary resides at my parents' house an hour away, I'll leave that fact finding mission for another day.  That and I'm fresh out of Venn Diagrams to boot.  #DaddyWrite

What could be the most scientifically accurate Venn Diagram of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment