Monday, February 13, 2017

Day 115 - Two Guys, A Baby, and a Cake



Every once in a great while, I find myself compelled to do something nice.  Maybe it's helping the proverbial old lady cross the street.  Perhaps it's rearranging the carts in the cart corral at the grocery store to make life easier for the poor cart guy.  Or maybe, just maybe, it's abstaining from poking fun at Canada.  Oh who am I kidding?  I can't make fun of Canada.  It's a glorious place full of hockey, maple syrup, and the word "eh".  They even brought us Bill Shatner!


Back to basics, today marked Bethany's first annual twenty-ninth birthday and like any good husband, I found myself thinking about how to mark the occasion this morning.  Normally, the answer would be to go out on a nice little date but that wasn't going to be possible for two reasons.  Number one being #BecauseBaby and number two being that Bethany would be working late this evening.  So some contemplation, I decided that making Bethany a cake would be a great way to show my affection and make her feel special.  


The question was what kind though.  Given that this was my first ever experience making a cake, you'd think I'd go simple.  Nope, I decided to go all out and try an ice cream cake.  Once I located the perfect ice cream cake recipe on Google, Ellie and I headed to the grocery store to get the necessary ingredients.  One box of Chocolate Fudge cake mix, a cube of Chocolate Chip ice cream, and a cube of vanilla ice cream later, Ellie and I loaded up in the car and headed home.  

Thus began the great cake making experiment of 2017.  Into the mixing bowl went the cake mix, water, and oil.  Next on the list, eggs.  I open the refrigerator and reach my hand out to grab the egg carton only to grab thin air.  There were no eggs!  With no other alternative, I load Ellie back into her car seat and head back to the grocery store for a carton of eggs.  The unfortunate part of having to go back to the grocery store so soon is that everyone remembers you, especially when flanked by a cute baby.  The old guy arranging carts, grouchy Janice scanning my items, and Stevo the overly excited bag boy.  All would remember us and want the story of why we had returned so soon.  Not a story that you want to retell over and over again.

Coincidentally, the same face Ellie made when I shoved her back in her car seat...



Ellie and I would then return home and continue on in the process.  Shortly thereafter, we would be joined by my friend, Austin, to hang out and assist in our madness.  Once the cake mix had baked and cooled, then things got interesting.  I had to remove the cardboard box from my ice cream not that it was a big issue.  The bigger challenge was in slicing the cube of ice cream in half using a piece of dental floss per the instructions.  It's more difficult than it sounds.  For one thing, there's no way to hold onto ice cream using your hands without leaving your fingerprints behind.  



After several failed attempts, I finally had Austin hold the ice cream block in place using a pair of spatulas while I gently eased my floss into the ice cream.  I assumed the floss would cut like butter but it was not to be.  Finally after trying the floss and the sharpest knife in our kitchen, I chose to embrace my inner Jackie Chan and use my mad karate chopping skills to split the block in half (Don't worry, my hands were clean).  Finally, I achieved success and placed my two blocks side-by-side on top of the cake and put it in the freezer to harden.  After I used a spatula to spread the ice cream strategically to fill in my hand prints, that is. 

Nice form on that karate chop Jesse.

 After the ice cream spent several hours hardening, the next step was easy.  Mixing the vanilla ice cream with a hand mixer until smooth and painting it on the cake.  Once that step was completed, my task was done.  Bethany had one tasty cake awaiting her in the freezer.  That being said, it was not a pretty sight.  Good thing I'm not trying to make a living decorating cakes.  We'd go hungry here in the Holt household!  #DaddyWrite

Gordon Ramsey would not be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment