Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Day 88 - New Year, New Goals, Same Old Blog



Bye bye 2016.  Hello 2017!  It's actually really weird to think about how it's no longer the year of Ellie's birth.  If we're talking fiscally, then I guess the argument could be made that we're still in the year of her birth.  That seems like it would just add confusion for some folks though so we're going with my original statement.  Honestly, it's really weird just to think back at how much life has changed in the span of twelve months.  And I'm just talking about my own life.  However, I'm not really referring to the whole 2016 horror movie of a year like some people do.  No, I will not be referring to news stories featuring celebrities, Presidential candidates, exploding cell phones, and meme-worthy gorillas.  For example.

  • ·         The baby was born (That's actually probably big enough for most people in terms of changes)
  • ·         I quit my job and started a blog (No, I don't get paid for any of this)
  • ·         Bethany got promoted at work which comes with brand, spanking new responsibilities and pay
  • ·         We got a zoo pass (I feel like that's a worthy big change.  Ellie can now see gorillas whenever I want!  That's the dream.)
  • ·         I turned 30 and got the 1/3 life crisis to go along with it (probably where the job quitting comes into play)


Don't laugh.  He got like 5% of the American votes.




So while it's healthy for me to look back at the year that was, it's also important to look ahead to the year that is.  Honestly, I think I'm just as scared for 2017 as I was for 2016.  To that, I'm sure you're saying "Dude, you had a kid in 2016."  It's true though.  I don't really know what the next year holds.  When I left the work force, I made a commitment to myself and Bethany to stay home with Ellie for a year.  That year will be up in August and then I'll get to make more decisions regarding my life and future.  Do I want to continue the stay-at-home dad gig?  Do I want to go back to work at an office?  Do I want to figure out a way to work from home?  Do I want to become a Walmart greeter?  If I could do anything now, I think it would be to figure out a way to write for a living.  The good thing is that I have some more time to keep building a body of work and hopefully make a little money freelancing.




So while it's a little hard for me to totally plan for the year ahead for myself, I can at least plan ahead for Ellie's year.  I can even plan out some New Year's resolutions for her, baby style!
  • ·         Learn to crawl
  • ·         Pull myself up to a stand
  • ·         Learn to walk
  • ·         Feed myself
  • ·         If I'm really ambitious, get potty trained

Now, if Ellie can accomplish all of those things this year, I'm going to consider it a great year.  If she only attains the four that are most realistic, well, then I guess it'll still be ok.  Her mother and I will just be mildly disappointed in her lack of ambition.  ;)  #DaddyWrite

Shia believes in you, Ellie.


No comments:

Post a Comment