Thursday, January 26, 2017

Day 104 - I Can't See Clearly Now...I Can't See All Obstacles In My Way



Improvisation is key to being a stay-at-home dad.  Meaning, you've got to be willing to think outside the box at times in order to get things done.  There's going to be times when things seem to be all falling apart and everything is going wrong.  When that happens, just go ahead and wing it.  Just make sure that the baby's happy above all else.  Today was actually one of those seemingly random days for me where I had to exercise some of my more creative tendencies.  Not only to make the baby happy, but to also give myself some much needed comfort.

Today marked what is always one of my least favorite days of the year.  No, not January 26th.  I personally don't have any issue with good old 1/26 other than it claimed Abe Vigoda.  Of course, that might be more on 2016 than the date itself; 2016 did develop a reputation after all.  And yes, I did have to type January 26th into Google in order to find a "legitimate" beef with the date of January 26th.  I actually wasn't a fan of today because it was time for my annual eye exam.  My eyes haven't changed in about six years, but the problem is that I keep running out of contacts after one year.  Henceforth, I have to go in, have the massive pair of binoculars placed on my face, play fifteen rounds of "one or two?", and finally, suffer through having my eyes dilated.  #FirstWorldProblems 


The eye dilation is actually what bothers me the most.  It basically takes an entire day for my eyes to return to normal each time it's done.  Today was no exception as I found myself walking out of the office, shielding my eyes with my hand and coat.  It's like I'm channeling Jim Halpert trying to prank Dwight.  Luckily, I didn't have Ellie with me to worry about since my mom came down to keep her for the morning just to make things easier.  


Once I made it home, things got interesting again as it was time for Ellie's solid food lunch.  On the menu today, a fantastic Oat and Fruit Blend made by the terrific folks from Gerber (I wouldn't actually know if it's fantastic or not as I didn't taste it).  I quickly came to the conclusion that I failed to realize just how much dilated eyes can affect one's depth perception.  The process of dipping a spoon into a bowl and guiding it toward Ellie's mouth had never been more of an epic struggle.  Luckily for me, Ellie is pretty good about guiding her mouth towards the spoon instead of the other way around.  Still, after about five bites, I buckled down and ask my mom to finish the job.
Following that, I put Ellie down for an afternoon nap and settled in for one myself.  When your eyes are super dilated, there's really not much you can do.  TV?  No go.  Internet?  As if.  Read a book?  Out of the question.  Take up knitting?  Probably not the best time.

Once Ellie woke up from her nap, we sat down on the floor to play with blocks.  Before long, Ellie started taking an interest in the blanket I had covered myself with.  In fact, she began trying to lift it over her head.  At this moment, I found myself having an idea (and no, it didn't hurt for all of you smart alecks out there).  I grabbed two chairs, positioned the blanket over them, and with that, christened Ellie's very first blanket fort.  I placed her inside on a quilt with her toys and joined her inside for some afternoon fun.  


I honestly don't know why the idea of making my daughter a blanket fort never crossed my mind until today.  That being said, I don't think there is any better day to sit in the dark than when you find your eyes resembling those of a fruit bat.  Don't worry Ellie.  Daddy promises not to suck your blood.  #DaddyWrite

Abe Vigoda squeezing avocados.  Literally, that's all this is.

No comments:

Post a Comment