Monday, May 20, 2019

Day 602 - Just Like the Rain


Happy Monday everyone. Hope you're enjoying the backdrop of a torrential downpour happening right outside our windows. 


You know, a torrential downpour is a funny thing. It can really elicit one of two responses. A person can be irritated or ticked off by it. I think I would qualify as slightly irritated because all I can think about is just how tall my back yard is going to be once I finally am able to mow it. In case you're wondering, it's already been four weeks (I think) since I mowed the back lawn.

Of course, the flip side of that coin is that one can choose to look on the bright side. For example, rain can be a beautiful thing. Not to mention, if we're lucky, the rain will wash the dead groundhog in the street further away from our house. I would call that a huge win.

Similar to one's emotions regarding the rain, this day has provided me with the opportunity to look at it in different ways. I could use the lens of anger, frustration, or mental anguish. As an alternative, I could instead choose to enjoy and embrace the really neat parts of my day (I really don't remember the last time I used 'neat' in a sentence). 


Ok, I've decided. I think I want to enjoy and embrace the neat parts of my day. Although, before doing so, I feel the urge to explain just what exactly made this a difficult day for yours truly.
Ethan is very similar to his sister in many ways, chief among them being his unyielding love for his mother. Of course, I didn't realize just how much he loves Bethany until today when he spent four or five hours screaming in epic fashion. In case you don't see where this is going, once Bethany got home this evening, every ounce of Ethan's malcontent flew out the window, leaving only a cooing, happy baby in its place.

Unfortunately for me, Mondays is when Bethany meets up with a girl from our college life group that she is discipling. Even though Bethany offered to take Ethan along, I put my foot down and said I could handle things. Hindsight being 20/20, I probably should have let her take him along.
That's enough time spent reflecting on the difficult part of my day though. I want to talk about the cute and fun parts for a while. 

Like any infant, Ethan's world is pretty much filled with endless amounts of discovery. In fact, once he discovers something, he becomes intrigued by it to the point of obsession. In some instances, the discovery can even negatively impact his sleep. For an example, look no further than Ethan's feet.


Over the past couple of days, it has become very commonplace to see Ethan tightly gripping his feet and/or toes whenever he's in his bed or bouncy seat. In his bouncy seat, it's really not a big issue. When it pertains to his bed though, it is.

For starters, any time we lay Ethan down in his bed, rather than laying prone and sucking on a pacifier like he has become accustomed to, Ethan now will immediately roll to his side and desperately paw at his feet. On occasions, he has even gotten his feet stuck in the bars of his crib. 

You know, now as I write this, I realize there can even be a downside to super-cute situations. However, I feel strongly that the super-cuteness of said super-cute situations will continue to rise above the aforementioned downsides. At least I hope that's the case. #DaddyWrite

No comments:

Post a Comment