Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Day 532 - Halloween Hijinks



It's the scariest night of the year. Actually, for the record, I don't find Halloween all that scary. Except for when the nondescript, windowless, white panel van rolled down our street with small children trick-or-treating on either side. However, creepy might be the better word for that, not scary. For Ellie though, the first trick-or-treater of this year almost single-handedly wrecked her entire Halloween but that's a story I'll get to later.

With this year marking Ellie's third Halloween, after some deliberation, Bethany and I decided it was time for Ellie to have a Halloween costume. While thinking through some of the options at our disposal, we remembered Ellie had received a Minnie Mouse-themed dress from one of Bethany's co-workers that she absolutely loves. Therefore, we figured it would be fun for Ellie to dress as Minnie Mouse.


Of course, a big part of any Minnie Mouse costume has to be the ears. Without them, you're just a kid with a picture of a cartoon mouse on her chest. Therefore, my mission for the day was to create a set of ears to go with Ellie's dress. Starting early this morning, I found an old box in the basement and cut out a pair of circles using one of Ellie's bowls as a pattern. Then, I covered each circle in black duct tape. 

At this point though, I reached an impasse when I realized I didn't know how to attach the ears to Ellie's head. My impasse would remain unsolved until an afternoon trip to Target gave me what I needed to complete my project: a headband from the $1.00 aisle. With our purchases in hand, we headed home to complete Ellie's costume.

In case you're wondering what all goes into a homemade pair of mouse ears, the list is simple.

  • One $1.00 headband from Target
  • Two circles cut out of cardboard
  • One roll of black duct tape
  • One old t-shirt (blue)
  • One really old pair of underwear (black)
  • One staple gun

In case you're wondering, the underwear was used to cover the ears with fabric as I thought it looked better than duct tape. Don't worry; they were clean. As for the shirt, I cut strips of fabric and tied them into a bow to create a version of Minnie's iconic bow. The final step was to assemble everything using the staple gun and duct tape. Honestly, it didn't look too bad if I say so myself.


If we're being serious, all of the work on the costume didn't really matter to Ellie one iota. What really mattered to her was taking part in her favorite part of Halloween, handing out candy. Unfortunately for Ellie, that was almost ruined with the first trick-or-treater of the evening.

The three of us had been anxiously waiting in our living room for the first kids to arrive. While Bethany and I were just sitting on the floor chatting, Ellie excitedly peered out the window. All of a sudden, Ellie began screaming in terror and took off, bounding up the stairs to safety. At that same moment, the doorbell rang out. As I answered the door, I saw the object of Ellie's fear: a kid in one of those inflatable dinosaur costumes. 


Our best guess as to the reason for Ellie's fear? If you've ever seen one of those dinosaur costumes, then you realize that it's not easy to tell there's a human inside. That's especially true when you're two years old. Lucky for us, as soon as the dinosaur had left the premises, Ellie wandered back downstairs and excitedly handed out candy to any who rang our doorbell.

The moral of the story for this Halloween for Ellie? Simply put, she probably shouldn't watch 'Jurassic Park' anytime soon. Actually, for all I know, 'The Land Before Time' might even be too intense for her. #DaddyWrite

No comments:

Post a Comment