Friday, October 19, 2018

Day 523 - Let Me In!




It was a cold and cloudy day; much like today. Actually, for the record, it was today. This morning, in fact. With nothing else going on, Ellie and I chose to spend our morning getting things done around the house that needed to be done. Things like doing dishes, picking up the kitchen, and putting away toys that weren't being played with were just some of the things on the list.

As I stood at the sink washing the last of the dishes, Ellie on a chair beside me, I began to gaze out the window at the drops of water beading up across our deck. I understand people don't really gaze at beads of water under normal circumstances. However, as I've spent the last couple of days staining our deck, I was more than excited to see it taking place. The thing about looking out a window is that you really don't get the full picture of what's going on. Therefore, I decided to pop outside for a quick second to see what the deck and stairs looked like.

The thing about having a toddler is that you don't really get to go outside without them wanting to do so as well. Unfortunately for Ellie, I decided she should stay inside to avoid the cold, especially since I would only be outside for a minute or so. 

After taking a quick glance at the floorboards and the stairs, I was ready to head back inside. For the record, they look great! I grabbed the doorknob and twisted it freely only to find the door didn't budge. Panicked, I immediately tried the same thing again only to experience the same result. Finally, the truth set in; I was locked out. 


I didn't have to be Sherlock Holmes to piece together what had happened. Since I was outside, Ellie decided she needed to be outside. However, instead of turning the doorknob, Ellie instead turned the deadbolt, locking me outside and herself inside. 

As I stood there shivering, barefoot, and lacking a cell phone, I began to think about my options. I could go next door to one of my neighbors and call my wife to come home and let me in or I could try and break down the door like a real-life action movie star (Lots of glass in our door = Ouch!). However, the most realistic option was to try and talk Ellie through opening the deadbolt. 

Now, I don't know if you've ever tried to talk a two-year-old through unlocking a door but it's not an easy task. For one, if I tapped on the glass and pointed to the deadbolt, Ellie's reaction was to mimic me rather than help. If I pantomimed unlocking the deadbolt, her response was to mimic that as well. For the most part, she didn't seem to remember that she had twisted the deadbolt just minutes earlier. Before long, she had both the doorknob and the deadbolt locked. 


Finally, after she managed to unlock the doorknob again, I convinced her to grab a chair and stand on it next to the door. It was then that she was able to see the deadbolt right in front of her eyes. She grabbed hold of the deadbolt and turned it one direction only to find it wouldn't spin. Then, after much pleading, she finally twisted it the opposite direction, unlocking the door and letting a very cold and damp daddy burst inside. For the record, I was only outside for about 15 minutes.

I should end this little tale with the disclaimer that I didn't really know the best thing to do in regards to punishing Ellie. She had locked me out but she had also let me back in. Therefore, I decided a thank you was in order but she did receive a spanking as well. 

My hope is that she doesn't play with doors anymore but also realized I was grateful she let me in. I'm guessing she'll instead associate the words "Thank you" with being spanked. Therefore, sorry in advance for my daughter's lack of proper etiquette. It's because of that one time her father spanked her while saying "Thank you." #DaddyWrite



No comments:

Post a Comment