Thursday, February 15, 2018

Day 349 - Going For The Gold, Baby Style



Confession time. I am absolutely engrossed in the Olympics right now. Feel free to chant "U.S.A." with me for approximately the next two minutes so that you can really get the patriotism flowing. I'm setting the timer on my watch right now. Don't worry, I'll still be here when you're done.

See Ricky Bobby Celebrate America? Celebrate America with Ricky Bobby.

Oh good, you're back. Anyway, as I said, I've been totally keyed in on the Olympics. It's funny because I really have no recollection of ever paying much attention to them before the 2010 Games held in Vancouver. Since then, the Games have always kind of been something to look forward to and get excited about in the Holt household. Side note, I don't know if this is controversial or not, but I totally prefer the Winter Games to Summer. Anyone else feel that way?

Anyway, with all of the Olympics talk in our home right now, it's possible little Ellie has begun to feel left out. She doesn't really have the strong attention span to just sit and watch for hours on end like her lazy, good for nothing father. She's also not really big enough yet to participate in any of the typical Olympic disciplines. Therefore, she has had to be creative and institute her own personal Games. Today, especially, was big for her as Ellie chose to compete in three different sets of events. And with that, I proudly declare the 2018 Baby Olympics to be open!


We started with our first event this morning at 10:00 am, held at the Park Hill Aquatic Center: Water Babies. Now, I should probably add that no medals are being contested in this event. Instead, we're simply looking for some semblance of moderate proficiency in staying afloat. Guess what, Ellie did just that. 

Now, not only did she stay afloat but she's improved spectacularly over the past couple of weeks. Whereas she was nervous and timid initially, Ellie has since channeled her inner dolphin and was happily cruising through the water, moving both her arms and legs to perfection. Don't worry, I'm still holding onto her at all times. The girl even was willing to turn her head sideways and submerge her ears in the water!

Did you know there's no set age limit to compete in swimming in the Olympics?

With Ellie recording an amazing 9.5 in the Water Babies competition, it was onto the second event: Competitive Dusting. I should lead with the fact that I absolutely DID NOT put a rag in my daughter's hands and tell her to go dust. Basically what happened is following our lunch, I grabbed a washrag to clean off Ellie's face and the table in front of her. Then I grabbed the broom and dustpan and went to work cleaning the floor. While I was doing that, Ellie helped herself to the washcloth and began assisting me in my cleaning by wiping stray bits of food off her high chair. 

Honestly, I figured Ellie's help would stop there but I was mistaken. Instead, I sat back and watched my daughter tear across the living room and kitchen cleaning anything and everything in sight with her trusty washcloth. Kitchen chairs, the couch, her rocking horse, the carpet, our oven, the dishwasher, the radio, the front windows. The list can go on and on. I'm serious. Ellie even cleaned my feet with said washrag to polish off her run with a mean 9.2 score.


Following Ellie's wild cleaning spree, I decided that just as Mikaela Shiffrin had to pull out of the Super-G competition to avoid exhaustion, it was time for Ellie to take a brief respite from the Games with an afternoon nap. So take a nap she did. Of course, it was on top of my chest while Daddy happily took a break from the Baby Olympics with some real Olympics but who's being picky.

Once Ellie awoke from her rest, it was time for us to travel to Platte Purchase Park for the final event: Jungle Gym Obstacle Course. Unlike most obstacle courses where the route is carefully laid out for you, in this version, the route is at the discretion of the athlete, or you know, Ellie. Over the next forty minutes, Ellie would tear across her own personal obstacle course. She wrangled the rope bridge, scaled some mean stairs, and successfully flew down the slides, averaging a score of 9.7 for the afternoon. In all honesty, this was the first time for Ellie to continually get herself to the top of a slide and down successfully so it was a blast to watch her play.



As you can see, the Olympic Baby Games were a rousing success. While Ellie didn't gain any medals for her day, that's not due to a lack of success. It's more due to the fact that Daddy simply didn't have any medals to award her. However, that's probably a reflection on my lack of preparation more than anything. #DaddyWrite

No comments:

Post a Comment