Monday, February 5, 2018

Day 341 - Requiem for a Cookie



Throughout the majority of my life, I've been the tall one in my family. It started when I took a growth spurt in middle school and bypassed my poor dad. Although, to this very day, he cranes his neck to its absolute limit in an attempt to prove he can be taller than me. For the record, I'm generally slouching when he does so. 

Anyway, as the "tall one" in the family, I've become accustomed to being tasked with standing on my tip-toes to stretch up and reach something from its high perch. For the record, I don't really consider my 6'2" frame to be all that tall. In fact, a fair number of the teenagers I work with in our church already surpass my height! 

Almost got it...

I bring all of these height-related ponderings up for a special reason. You see, Ellie seems to have noticed all of my stretching and reaching for things that are high above my head. Not only that, but she's decided to put her rapidly growing frame to use by reaching up valiantly for things that were once out of her reach. I have to say once because our baby girl is now tall enough to reach all counters in our house. Need an example, I must say I'm happy to provide.

Small amount of background information for your reading pleasure first. Today officially marked Day 1 of Ellie's new daily schedule. At 19 months of age, Bethany and I, with the help of Ellie, finally came to the decision it was time to drop Ellie's morning nap from the rotation. Instead, we would focus on not only getting a quality after-lunch nap for her, but getting her to sleep until at least 6 am each morning. Ellie's habit has long been to head to her crib within an hour of Bethany leaving for work around 7 am. Today, though, after I abstained from following her to her room, Ellie returned with a confused look on her face and a renewed vigor for playtime.


Of course, there were issues with this new way of life for Ellie. You see, over time, we have carefully cultivated an idea of right and wrong in Ellie's head. Rules for what she should and should not do. While it's not chief among those rules, it still goes without saying that one important rule is to not drag stuff off of the counters, especially the kitchen counters. Obviously, we don't want her getting hurt by a heavy pot or stray knife. We also don't want her just helping herself to anything that's on the counter.

Taking all of that into account, picture me sitting on the couch in our living room minding my own business when I hear a vicious ka-boom! My first inkling was that Ellie had likely pushed her milk cup and snack of cereal off of the kitchen chair both were sitting on to the wood floor below. As she wasn't crying or reacting negatively, I chose to give her some space and not hover. At least, that was my plan until my daughter sheepishly turned the corner into the living room with a look on her face screaming "I think I did something wrong." With that, I decided it was probably time to get up and check the kitchen for anything out of the ordinary.

The first thing I see when turning the corner are Cheerios spilled all over the kitchen floor accompanied by a small puddle of milk from her glass. To me, this isn't exactly a big deal and I was actually much more interested in the second thing I saw. Ellie's sweet tooth had overtaken her decision-making, causing her to do something very bad. She had managed to reach up onto our kitchen counters and drag a covered Pyrex dish containing peanut butter drop cookies onto the floor below where it landed upside down. Luckily for me, the Pyrex dish remained in one piece. Unfortunately, a large percentage of the cookies had broken down into tinier bits. There was no real harm done and Ellie escaped severe punishment, instead receiving a literal smack on the wrist for her transgression.

Poor cookies...

If nothing else, this little escapade reinforces the fact that it's time for us to start being extremely careful about what is close to the edge of our kitchen counters. That and there's no end to the lengths to which Ellie will go just to eat a cookie. #DaddyWrite

Did somebody say cookie?





No comments:

Post a Comment