Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Day 265 - Correlations of Choice and Beleaguered Baby Watchers



Ellie is a poor mistreated and ignored baby. Yeah, that's not really true. You can go ahead and hang up on child protective services now. Quick before they pick up the phone. 

Child Protective Services, how may I direct your call?
The truth is that she's actually quite loved and adored in our home. She gets three square meals a day, a nice amount of toys to play with, and books read to her whenever she wants. She even gets all of the hugs she can handle and has her own swing in the backyard to boot.

However, in spite all of the love and care (and stuff) she receives, I'm (still) relatively certain Ellie believes she is ignored, mistreated, and/or abandoned from time-to-time. Oh, what's that? You need an example? I'd be more than happy to oblige. 

For quite some time, Ellie has actually been staying alone in the church nursery during Sunday mornings. Well, not alone, she's supervised and everything. She's just been doing so without Bethany or I present which has been super nice. It means we can both actually enjoy church on Sunday mornings without a baby on our laps getting antsy and smacking us in the face.

For the record, it's not always bad having a baby on our laps on Sunday morning...

Beginning yesterday though, Ellie was given the choice between staying in the baby room or moving to the toddler room. I say given the choice because apparently she was set down on the ground equidistant from the two options and told to go where she wanted. I didn't actually see this, but I like to imagine her going back and forth, staring into the two rooms before making her final decision. For the record, her final decision was the toddler room. 

In case you're wondering, that was the choice we would wanted her to make. As Bethany stated, Ellie already knows where all of the snacks and treats were kept in the baby room so it was probably time for her to move on.

All was well and good until I walked by between services on my way to the restroom. One of the nice things about the toddler room is that it has a window where you can glance in and watch the kids play. It actually kind of reminds me of an old-fashioned pet store window. The problem with said window is that one can see through it both ways. Therefore, just as I spotted Ellie, she was able to spot me. When that happened, she came running to the window, large orange ball in her hands, crying all the way.

I only wish said orange ball was this big.

The responsible parenting thing to do would probably be to take responsibility for my actions and soothe my child. Instead, I found it prudent to duck out of the line of sight and head for the hills (or bathroom). At least I learned my lesson though. When heading back by the window, I didn't stop and stare. Instead I just took a quick glance to see my daughter in the arms of a very beleaguered looking blonde guy. Pretty much all I could think was "Poor beleaguered blonde guy. Hopefully she calms down for him soon". 

With that, I pretty much wiped the situation from my mind and went about my business until picking up a very relieved Ellie after church. While the staff said she was really good, I found myself slightly curious as to whether or not that was the case. Unfortunately, poor beleaguered blonde guy wasn't around for me to get his side of the story. I guess I'll never know. #DaddyWrite

No comments:

Post a Comment