Monday, June 26, 2017

Day 202 - Age Zero is Almost Over



So, Ellie's birthday is on Tuesday. As I write this, we're 364 days into this whole child-rearing experience. In case you're wondering, the #DaddyWrite counter only counts days in which I find myself solely responsible for the baby. I do indeed know how to count accurately (as long as I have an abacus or make tally marks). Each year as my own birthday draws near, I find myself attempting to take stock of the past year of my life and ask a series of questions.

  • ·         Did I accomplish anything of value?
  • ·         Did I make a new friend?
  • ·         Did I learn anything new?
  • ·         Did I get to eat at Taco John's enough?

I'm sure there's other pressing questions that are asked. However, I just can't remember them. I do have a reason for bringing this up. After today, I'm relatively certain Ellie must share my affinity for taking stock of the last year on the eve of the anniversary of her birth. 



For example, I've drawn attention to Ellie's propensity for learning new things in the past. The idea of how once she learns something, she doesn't actually cease doing it until the activity is mastered. And with that simple sentence, you now have a decent idea of where I'm going with this. If you're wondering, the two newest skills in Ellie's repertoire are crawling down the stairs all by herself and engaging in spontaneous rounds of applause. 

After a multitude of private training sessions conducted by yours truly, Ellie finally mastered the one thing that was standing in the way of her properly descending down stairs: turning around. Instead of barreling head first down a flight of stairs with a lack of bodily regard, Ellie now instead approaches the edge of the stairs with caution. Once she reaches that edge, she turns with one leg stretched until said leg is in the air. Then, she gradually moves that leg down one step. Once her weight is secure, she follows suit with her other leg. One-by-one, Ellie will gradually inch down the stairs until she finds herself on solid ground.

At least Ellie doesn't go down stairs like this...anymore.

Honestly, I didn't expect Ellie to be so addicted to stair climbing once she learned. Shows how little I knew as Ellie basically spent the entire day ascending and descending stairs in an attempt to master the task. Ironically each time she completed said task, she would happily sit at the top or bottom of the stairs respectively and give herself a rousing round of applause.

Ellie's actually been working on clapping for a while now. However, she has now finally mastered the most important part of clapping. You know, the part where your hands touch? Seriously, for the longest time, one could tell Ellie was trying to clap. That being said, her motor skills probably weren't developed enough to really make contact. Now, those days are in the past.


Honestly, I'm happy Ellie can clap now. Not only does it give her another form of communication but it just makes me feel good about myself. If I give her an especially tasty lunch or perhaps an extraordinary diaper change, Ellie can give me a rousing round of applause at a tip. Not only will it make me feel good about myself, but she can also let me know that my work doesn't go underappreciated.

I do love the irony that Ellie chose to fully master both of these tasks in the closing hours of her first year of life. It's like that guy everyone knows who strives to accomplish something in the last week of any year just so he can say he fulfilled her New Year's Resolution. Fortunately, Ellie's resolutions are probably more attainable than whatever that guy was trying for. 

At least I hope they were. I'd hate for the end of Ellie's first year to be marked with crushing disappointment. #DaddyWrite


No comments:

Post a Comment