Thursday, May 18, 2017

Day 177 - Escape Attempts and Women's Socks



I've long known that my daughter likes to move. Even before she was born, she basically spent all day and night kicking her mother. Poor Bethany may even have a dent in her liver after those nine months. It makes sense though. I spend  90% of my life being fidgety and not wanting to sit still. Seriously, I wish I could count just how many times I've accidentally stabbed myself with a screwdriver because I told myself it's a good toy. That could be where Ellie gets her penchant for playing with anything and everything. Anyway, I go into this because Ellie's endless desire to move knows no boundaries and it almost landed her in some trouble today.

So John Travolta walked into a Target...(Stop me if you've heard this one)

One of my responsibilities that I've taken on with the whole stay-at-home dad thing is to ensure that Ellie has adequate diapers and wipes on hand. As you can probably guess, I neglected to keep a good count on how many diapers remained. As a result, we started running a little thin today. And by a little thin, I mean we had about three diapers remaining. Once Ellie woke up from her nap this afternoon, it was definitely necessary for us to make a quick Target run to stock up.

Contrary to all male programming, I actually enjoy shopping. Not enough to do so every single day but it's fun every now and then. That's especially true if I'm going somewhere like Target. If it's just the grocery store or anything else along those lines, I'm nowhere near as excited. Lucky for me, Ellie enjoys it as well. She especially likes riding in the cart so that she can see people as well as all of her surroundings. 

After entering Target and finding ourselves in the diaper aisle (after the obligatory detours through electronics and board games), I found myself with an important decision to make. That decision being if it was time to bump Ellie up to size 3 in diapers or to leave her in a size 2 for one more box. Finally, I decided to go with the size 3 to make certain she had plenty of room to keep growing. After tossing a box of wipes in our cart with the diaper box, Ellie and I continued on our quest. 



I should restate my earlier sentence about Ellie liking to ride in the cart. She does enjoy doing so until items are placed inside it. Then her natural nosiness kicks in (I think that comes from her mother) and she turns her little torso side-to-side attempting to see whatever it is. I have never viewed this as an issue since I keep her buckled in. I guess there's a first time for everything though.

Before we could leave Target, Ellie and I needed to head by the women's sock section to pick up some new work socks for Bethany. If you're a guy, this is a pretty academic task. You're basically just picking the color and calling it good. Apparently women have it slightly more difficult. Not only are all of the colors in play, women also have to deal with questions of length. In case you're wondering, the length apparently ranges from the size of a bunny's paw to the length of a giraffe's leg and everything in between. 

As I stood there, totally overwhelmed by everything in front of me, I heard a straining noise behind me. Ellie had completely spun herself around in the cart to face the boxes. Not only that, but she was pawing at them, frantically trying to escape her predicament. As I placed my hands around her tiny waist to pull her back towards the front of the cart, she dug in her tiny fingernails in an attempt to hold her ground. Unfortunately for her, Daddy is significantly stronger. I placed her back in the seat and cinched up the belt to ensure she would not escape again.



After being witness to Ellie's prowess at escaping, I find myself wondering just how much it will improve as she ages. Not only will her larger size inevitably be of assistance but her increased mental prowess will help as well. The moral of the story is that I need to keep my eye on her. Unless I'm overwhelmed by the ladies' sock section at Target. Then it's all I can do to avoid turning into a shaking, quivering mass rocking back and forth while singing "This Old Man".  #DaddyWrite

This Old Man, He played two, He played knick-knack on my shoes **CRYING**

No comments:

Post a Comment