Thursday, June 28, 2018

Day 446 - Two!!


Ed. note: Before you say anything, I realize I'm publishing this post on Thursday night and it's no longer Ellie's birthday. However, according to the ironclad rules of #DaddyWrite, I am only allowed to count days in which I am home with Ellie towards the running total. That being said, I feel that writing something chronicling my feelings on Ellie turning two supersedes anything that happened today.

I find myself experiencing an odd set of emotions right now. Truly, I do. As I sit down to write a few thoughts in celebration of Ellie's birthday, I first looked back to last year's post, entitled One. There were various reasons for me to do so. For one, I didn't want to just carbon copy last year's post and change ones to twos. More important than that though is that I wanted to look back at my thoughts on Ellie at one and compare them to my thoughts on her today at two.

For posterity, I should probably remind myself how we spent Ellie's birthday. For starters, Bethany took the day off from work so that we could celebrate as a family. Pretty awesome if I do say so myself. We started our day off bright and early with a typical Ellie wake-up call over the 5:00 hour. 

Now, while I'm normally pretty ticked about said wake-up call, that was not the case on this day as it meant we were able to grace Ellie with her birthday present just that much sooner. Just to alleviate any suspense, the present was a 36-inch trampoline. It may sound like an odd gift for a two-year-old but makes perfect sense when considering Ellie's affinity for jumping.


After an extended play session, we left the house early to head to the Kansas City Zoo, arriving in the parking lot around 8:00. After nearly three hours of pushing Ellie's stroller, we were spent and it was time to head for home. There, I transitioned a sleeping Ellie from her car seat to her bed where she continued napping while Bethany prepped Ellie's birthday cake.


Once Ellie awoke, the afternoon was filled with plenty of playtime even though Bethany and I each stepped out for brief errands. For dinner, we served up grilled brats and sweet potato fries before presenting Ellie with her ocean-themed birthday cake which came complete with two candles for her to blow out. In case you're wondering, one was successful while the other stayed alit.


Back to my initial thought. As I looked back at my post in honor of Ellie's birthday, I actually found myself tearing up a little. You see, while I swore up and down I'd never forget things about my daughter's life, the truth is that I already have. For example, look no further than this video from just one year ago containing a moment that had completely slipped from my mind.


While that's just one thing, I'm sure there are many, many others. Hopefully, though, those moments aren't lost to me forever. If I'm lucky, maybe I will have chronicled the important stuff in a #DaddyWrite post or at least taken a photo. That being said, I want to make sure I don't forget about the highlights of Ellie's second year. In no particular order...

  • Seeing Ellie finally get brave enough to experience the ocean in the final moments of our beach vacation.
  • Laying on the floor beside her bed each night and holding her hand as we pray together.
  • Being able to run with her and chase after her now that she's older. Just to note, she's deceptively fast.
  • On that note, seeing the pure, unadulterated joy riding on a moving sidewalk in the Atlanta airport brought Ellie during our Florida trip.
  • I know it's silly, but Ellie's overwhelming love for Sheepie brings me an inordinate amount of joy.
  • Anytime I get a hug and a kiss from her warms my heart to no end.


It's weird but just reliving the experiences of Ellie's first year coupled with thinking about the past year has tears welling up in my eyes (that are dangerously close to rolling down my cheeks). Just go ahead and take my man card now; I don't care.

Seriously though, I find myself thinking about just how quickly two years has flown by. Ellie is growing up so fast. She's running and playing, jumping and climbing, stringing multiple words together. She's even already working on potty training (on her own accord!). 

Now vs. Then

As we head into year 3, I know Ellie's going to continue to grow and develop by leaps and bounds. However, I need to make sure I do the same. So, in the third year of Ellie's life, I want to do a better job enjoying my time with her. I want to share new experiences with her, spend more time outside, be on my phone less, intentionally share God's Word with her, take more dumb selfies together, and most importantly, be the dad (and friend) that she needs. 

After all, as my pastor says (and I paraphrase), investing in a relationship with your daughter is one of the best things you can do as a dad. It's something you'll never regret doing and something you'll always be glad you did. Or, you know, something kind of like that.

Happy (belated) birthday Ellie!
Love, #DaddyWrite

No comments:

Post a Comment