Friday, January 29, 2021

Day 978 - Ellie's Second Eye Exam

Something happened 1,344 days ago. Based upon the title of this blog, I'm guessing folks will be able to ascertain that it was the date of Ellie's first eye exam. Fast forward 1,344 days and there you have the day of Ellie's second eye exam. For the record, I didn't tabulate that difference on my own. I had to find a handy, dandy calculator on the internet that specializes in figuring out the number of days between two dates. It also calculates seconds, minutes, hours, and weeks in case you're interested.

The reason for the lengthy delay between Ellie's eye exams make sense if you think about it. For one thing, it's pretty hard to determine how well a toddler/child can see before said child is capable of taking an eye test. Second, it helps that Ellie and Ethan are now on our family's vision insurance.

Our main reason for scheduling this appointment for Ellie was due to Bethany and me noticing that one of her eyes (usually her left) will occasionally trail off by itself, completely independent of what its mate is doing. Since my eye did the exact same thing as a child which necessitated surgery, Bethany and I definitely thought it was pertinent to start having Ellie's vision checked on a regular basis which brings us to yesterday.

While checking in for an appointment is normally a pretty uneventful task, it wouldn't be a #DaddyWrite post if there wasn't some kind of challenge in doing so. In this instant, the receptionist couldn't locate Ellie's name or appointment in the database no matter how hard she tried. Things got really weird when she realized that she also couldn't locate Bethany's or my information in the database either. I guess that's what happens when one's computer comes unconnected from the network though. Never fear as her coworker was able to locate our appointment although it was for Bethany, not Ellie. That was a relatively easy fix though.

Once we headed back to the exam room, Ellie took her place in the big chair with me seated across the room. From there, Ellie began her eye exam or as she referred to it, school. In her eyes, that probably wasn't far from the truth as she was essentially being tested on her knowledge of letters and numbers. Between Ellie's height and her knowledge, it seemed like the eye doctor was a little surprised to learn that Ellie was only four. 

While Ellie did pass her eye exam "test" with flying colors, our appointment wasn't all good news. We did discover that despite her solid vision, she does have a slight astigmatism which was the main reason for the somewhat lazy eye. The doctor's prescription? Eye glasses. While I now know astigmatisms are no big deal, I was not really prepared for that information in the moment. In fact, I found myself feeling bad for Ellie for having to wear glasses at what seemed like such a young age. The more I thought about it though, I realized (and Bethany told me) that Ellie already knows plenty of girls who wear glasses and it's no big deal to them. Therefore, it we don't make it a big deal, then it won't be one.

Actually, it won't be a big deal until Ellie breaks her glasses. That might be a little irritating but still not the end of the world. #DaddyWrite

No comments:

Post a Comment