Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Day 500 - Toddlers Telling Tales

I'm a little impressed with myself. Take another look at that number and you will see why. 


If we're all being completely honest (including myself), none of us thought I'd keep going for this long. I'm not just talking about the blogging either. Speaking truthfully, did anyone see a guy who had only held a baby twice in his life successfully spending 500 days as the primary caregiver for what is now a very, very, very active toddler? 

I  reread that last statement and feel clarification is in order. I am not saying that I am incapable of caring for my daughter. Instead, I'm saying that it was more likely I got burnt out of taking care of a baby within six months than for me to still be doing so two years later. Shows how much I know about things. To the blog!

It struck me today just how grown up Ellie is getting. A long-standing tradition when Bethany gets home is for her to ask Ellie things about her day. For a long time, that question was met with a bewildered gaze and pure silence from Ellie as I eventually began to fill in the gaps. Today, for the first time, I actually realized I wasn't having to tell Bethany the stories of our day. Instead, Ellie did so all by herself.

Beginning with the morning, Ellie excitedly told Bethany the details of our day. First, Ellie told her mom how she and Daddy had gone on a walk through the neighborhood in the stroller, making certain to mention that we did not go to the park. Nothing super ground-breaking there as it was exactly what we did. What really surprised me though was how Ellie filled Bethany in on every last aspect of our walk, including our stop at Casey's where we shared a slice of breakfast pizza. **shaking fist** Curse you Ellie; that was supposed to be our little secret!

Tell me you wouldn't eat that right now...

Next, Ellie proudly told Bethany about getting to watch TV and how she ultimately fell asleep on the couch doing so. The next thing of note to Ellie was not her waking from her nap in her bed or eating lunch. The thing that Ellie was most excited to explain to Bethany was why her quilt was perfectly spread out on the floor in our family room. 

Not long after lunch, Ellie had retreated to her room and came back with her quilt in tow. She painstakingly spread it out across the carpet, taking great care that there was not a single wrinkle left in it. Then, she returned upstairs to our living room asking for me to follow her downstairs. Once downstairs, Ellie instructed me to sit down on the quilt as she handed me a ball. She then sat down across from me with her own ball in hand. When I asked her what we were doing, her reply was adorable in its simplicity, "Daddy and Ellie having picnic."

As if that was not enough stories from the day, Ellie finally told Bethany how we had done laundry together. When she was finally done talking, Bethany asked Ellie what her favorite part of the day was. Ellie's response? "Ellie and Daddy played together!" 

I just really wanted to include this picture b/c it shows just how grown up Ellie's getting.

It continually amazes me how simple Ellie's wants are. She doesn't care if we go on some grand adventure or spend a ton of money. She doesn't want the latest, greatest toy or fancy, imported foods. The thing she wants most is just for me to spend time with her and for us to play and have fun together. It's amazing how easy that little nugget of information is for me to forget at times. However, I have no excuse to forget it since it's now recorded on one of the blog's so-called milestone days.

One more thing to serve as a reminder to me. I should really teach Ellie the concept of secrecy. As in not to spill the beans to Mommy when Daddy and Ellie get breakfast pizza without her. #DaddyWrite

Not entirely applicable but I'd regret not using it on Day 500.

No comments:

Post a Comment