Monday, September 18, 2017

Day 256 - Ellie's Safe Place: No Daddies Allowed



Anyone actually know what Southwest Airlines slogan is off the top of their head? I'll even give you the answer in the form of a multiple choice.

A. Think Outside the Bun
B. Go & Smell the Roses
C. Go Further
D. Wanna Get Away
E. Build Something Together
F. Greatness Awaits
G. Save Money, Live Better
H. Expect Great Things



Hey, I never said how many choices you would have to pick from. Any guesses? The correct answer is actually D. Wanna Get Away. In case, you're wondering the others are Taco Bell, Travelocity, Ford, Lowe's, PlayStation, Walmart, and Kohl's in that order. 

I know this seems relatively random, but I actually do have a reason for approaching this blog in this manner. The reason is that everyone goes through times where life gets to be a little much and they need to get away for a bit. Ever since my college days, my place of refuge was behind the wheel of my car. In fact, I can't even count how many random trips I made across the countryside of northwest Missouri just to have some alone time.

I'm not the only one in my household that just has to get away for some alone time now and then. I'm not talking about Bethany either. No, I'm instead talking about Ellie and how she has discovered a place in our house that belongs to her and her alone.

Ironically, Bill Shatner is alone in being able to understand his acting...

I've made plenty of mention about my propensity to procrastinate in the past (try saying that three times fast). One of those things I put off doing (for no good reason) was washing up Ellie's 'Bumpo' seat and moving it to storage in our basement since she no longer needs it. However, instead of putting it away, I just shoved it in the corner of Ellie's bedroom behind the rocking chair and next to the window. If it makes it sound any better, I was at least using it to keep Ellie's curtains closed more tightly to keep light out.

Well, it so happens that the 'Bumpo' chair is serving a purpose in more ways than one. Lately, I've found that Ellie has been randomly disappearing when I would have just seen her moments before. Not only is she disappearing, but she's not answering when I call either. Honestly, the first time this happened, I was totally freaking out and tearing the house apart trying to find my baby. Of course, she happened to be in one of the last places I would look. Ellie had retreated back behind the rocker and was actually sitting in her 'Bumpo' seat. Not only was she sitting in the 'Bumpo', but she was also "reading" a story that she had plucked off her bookshelf.

In fact, since the first time I caught Ellie back there, she's made quite a habit of doing so. Several times a day, she'll disappear back there for a few minutes just to have some quiet time. Of course, she doesn't just head back there at quiet times. She also loves to play hide and seek and chase the baby behind that chair as well. She's certainly figured out that Bethany and I cannot get behind the chair without much difficulty so she's free to do what she wants back there without being bothered. 

As you can see, it's not easy for a full-sized human to get back there...

I think the one thing that I have failed to grasp about parenthood is that Ellie actually is a little person all her own. She has her own quirks, wants, and desires. And just like anyone else, there are times I drive her so nuts she has to seek refuge just to get away from me.  At least she's getting used to that fact of life early on, right? #DaddyWrite

No comments:

Post a Comment