Friday, August 26, 2016

Day 5 - Copy that


In order to celebrate Ellie and I's first week at home together without Mommy, we decided to go out and run some errands and have our first daddy-daughter date.  And by 'we', I mostly mean me and that I wanted to get out of the house for a while.  But that's ok, right?  Right!  In all seriousness, something that I've heard from a lot of wiser fathers than I (meaning gray hair is present), is that it's a really good thing for fathers to have occasional daddy-daughter dates together.  I know from what I've heard that the significance of these times together will increase as Ellie gets older.  If I take great lengths to make Ellie feel valued and special as she grows, then she will make certain that whatever guy she drags home for me to disapprove of will also make her feel valued and special.  That's a worthy cause for me spending time with my daughter.  Also, I'm sure that she will decide that we should go for ice cream on some of these hypothetical dates.


Anyway, Ellie and I headed to Rally House to pick up the birthday present for my dad that I ordered last week.  Of course, I'm never going to pass up to the opportunity to walk around Rally House.  If for any reason you're unenlightened, Rally House is the premier destination to buy gear representing your favorite sports team in the Kansas City Metro area.  I definitely always enjoy any excuse to run in there and seeing as how this was Ellie's first time there, we needed to at least commemorate the occasion by wandering around the store for ten minutes.  Her wide eyes taking in the beautiful sights of Royals blue, Chiefs red, Mizzou gold, and Northwest green.  All was well until we lumbered by the KU section and the fear and loathing (in Las Vegas?) set in at the sight of the Jayhawk visage.  In all truthfulness, my daughter is so intrigued by being in new places that she is perfectly happy being lugged around in her car seat for an indeterminate amount of time.

After leaving Rally House, I texted Bethany and asked if she would enjoy seeing Ellie for a few minutes at her office since Ellie was awake and in a fantastic mood.  One thing about carrying a cute baby into an office tower; no one asks questions.  I probably could have walked out of the building pushing an industrial copy machine and no one would have asked any questions because of the cute baby in a car seat riding on top.  Fitting it out of the door of the tower and loading it in the back of my RAV4 would have been the only issue.  


Oddly enough, this short trip to see Bethany at her office would serve to be the highlight of my day.  I know that my wife has had a rough week trying to adjust to being back at work.  Sleep deprivation, missing her baby, and work itself all play a role I'm certain.  Watching my wife peacefully hold Ellie, fast asleep in her arms, for a short twenty minute spell and seeing the huge smile on her face brought me an amount of joy that I've only really known since Ellie's been born.  I think that's a huge part of what being a dad is all about.  Seeing the two people that you love most in the world with so much joy and in such a state of peace is the most serene and enjoyable experience.  All of us should be so blessed to experience it at one moment or another.  And now that was really sappy.  I need to go do something manly now to compensate.  #DaddyWrite

So much work being accomplished here...


No comments:

Post a Comment