Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Day 313 - New Blue Cars and Light Shows A-Leaping



Every so often, life happens and gets in the way of one's desire to keep a semi-coherent blog regarding a certain someone's experiences in attempting to raise a baby girl up to date. That's not necessarily a bad thing though if you think about it. It just means that I find myself with a sudden overabundance of what some would term "riches" to write about. What's that? You want to know what exactly the sudden overabundance of "riches" is? Ok, I guess I can tell you.

Since we last "chatted" with me giving you the 411 on Baby's First Car Crash, much has happened. My 2010 RAV4 was officially totaled by insurance resulting in me receiving a sizable check to go towards replacing said vehicle. As a result of that decision by the insurance company, I was saddled with the unenviable task of driving to the body shop to clean out my car before it would reach its final destination in a junk yard somewhere. 

By the way, if you've never cleaned out a wrecked vehicle, it's a process filled with a very strange set of emotions. Between thanking my RAV for keeping us safe in the accident and also thanking it for all of the adventures it took my family on, I'd be lying if I said I didn't get slightly teary-eyed. If you must know why, it's because I'm a big baby. It's also because that car was the first one I ever bought and paid for entirely with my own money giving it a special place in my heart.


After twenty minutes of pain staking work, I was successful in removing the rear license plate from the bent and twisted frame. It was then that I removed one final memento from the remnants of my cherished RAV4: the gearshift knob. Basically, I found myself remembering that old Subaru commercial where the guy took the knob from his destroyed Subaru. Since I'm a sentimentalist, I decided to do the same. Not sure if it's stealing or not, but went ahead since I hadn't signed the title over yet.

Following that experience, I've found myself living through quite the whirlwind over the past few days. I've received the payment for my RAV4, spent time on Thursday and Friday test-driving an embarrassing number of automobiles, and finally purchased a 2013 RAV4 in St. Joseph on Saturday. To that final item, most people's reaction has been something along the lines of "Didn't waste much time getting that done, did you?". To that, I say when you find a good deal, you find a good deal.


Of course, as you well know, I can't just get a new car (new to us anyway) without breaking it in on some kind of special adventure. With Christmas quickly coming upon us, I couldn't think of any better adventure for us than taking Ellie to look at Christmas lights, specifically the Liberty Light show. Therefore, after the three of us finished our dinner, Bethany and I loaded Ellie up in the back of the new car and headed east towards Liberty. 

Held in parking lot of Pleasant Valley Baptist Church, the viewing of the Liberty Light Show has become a tradition for Bethany and I since moving into our house. Therefore, it goes without saying that Ellie did tag along with us on said excursion last year. Now, it's questionable whether or not she got much out of that experience as she was passed out asleep at the time. That was not the case this time however.

As soon as we arrived, I hopped out of the driver's seat and carefully extricated Ellie from her car seat before passing her into the waiting arms of her mother. After that, I hopped back into the front seat where Bethany and Ellie were waiting. 

I may have neglected to snap any photos this year. Check out the link for the Light Show if you're into that sort of thing.

While I've always enjoyed visiting the Liberty Light Show, I had different reasons for enjoying it so much this year. As soon as the lights began flashing, Ellie was immediately captivated by the rainbow of colors before her. Of course, she wasn't just sitting idly by. She was really getting into it, clapping along with the beat of each song, forcing Bethany or I's hands to clap along in unison, and pointing out whatever she saw as the best part of the display (BTW, it was a light post with LED lights wrapped around it outside our car window). Of course, I'm neglecting to mention the resounding "uh-oh" every time a song ended and the display went completely black.   

While the past week wasn't exactly host to an ideal set of circumstances, at least we got the opportunity to polish it off in a positive manner. That, and we made it both to and from the light display without anyone bashing in the rear of our new car. I'll consider that a win every day of the week. I'm sure anyone else would too. #DaddyWrite




No comments:

Post a Comment