Monday, December 11, 2017

Day 308 - Coming Full Circle (Baby's First Car Crash)



Sometimes in life, we're forced to admit to ourselves we're not as smart as we once thought we were. It can be in the world of academia. We've all experienced getting that horrible test grade that we were absolutely positive was going to be an 100% (for the record, I had a concussion because a bathroom light fixture crashed over my head if that helps explain that 63% on my Biology 101 exam). Honestly, it's much more likely that these moments present themselves throughout the course of everyday life.

For example, throughout most of my teenage and adult years, I can remember being driven nuts by one simple thing my parents (specifically my mom) would always do. Every time I'd leave home, I would hear the same thing, "Be careful." To me, those words meant that I wasn't smart enough to be careful without hearing them first. In my head I was always saying some sarcastic like, "Well, I wasn't going to be but I guess I will now." However, now that I'm a parent, I find myself with a little more understanding as to what that means. That's especially true after the events of this past weekend.

On Saturday morning, we found ourselves with a full morning of errands that we needed to run. Chief among them was to find Bethany a new pair of eye glasses that did not result in pain to her ears and nose. For future reference, we now know that when one's prescription is bad, they don't want to purchase rimless glasses. The More You Know....


As you can probably guess, the three of us found ourselves packed into my RAV4 around 10:30 heading towards our local shopping district. After about 10 minutes in the car, the usually brisk pace of traffic on Highway 152 began to slow from the speed limit of 65. Now, since I really didn't want to hit anyone in front of me, I decided I should probably slow as well. 

Almost as soon as I made this decision, I felt a large jolt coming from behind us. At this moment, I glanced in the rearview mirror just in time to see a tan pickup truck careening into the median at a high rate of speed behind us. Bethany, upon feeling the jolt, looked at me and said, "Did the spare tire just fall off the back?" before turning around to discover we no longer had a rear window in the RAV4. 

I immediately pulled onto the side of the highway and flipped on the hazard lights before exiting the car. The first thing I saw upon walking to the rear of the vehicle was that, in addition to no rear window, the size of my cargo bay had shrunk considerably. I then moved my eyes down the highway to see that the tan truck had not only careened into the median, but had also taken out several guard rails along the way. 


As I was surveying the damage and calling 911, Bethany was opening the door to the back seat on the passenger side to extricate Ellie from her car seat. The story of what she would find still amazes me. Ellie was wide-eyed, as if in shock, covered in glass from the chest down. However, when Bethany removed Ellie from the car seat, the only issue to be found was small traces of blood on Ellie's clothes. I guess I should mention said traces of blood didn't come from my daughter. It instead was from a small, but deep cut on Bethany's finger suffered when removing Ellie from the car seat.

I never did get the full story of what occurred to cause the wreck as I never had the opportunity to speak to the driver of the tan truck since our vehicles were on opposite sides of the highway. Based off what I heard from the police, as well as a witness that stopped, was that the other driver had his airbag deploy at some point during his wild ride but the only sign of trauma to be seen was slight bleeding from his mouth. Between all parties involved, the accident could have undoubtedly been much worse as only two cars were involved and no serious injuries were suffered. 

I feel especially lucky given the fact that Ellie was in the car with us. While I'm bummed my car is torn up (and possibly a loss), I am grateful for the fact we were driving the RAV instead of Bethany's sedan. I hate to even contemplate what would have happened to us in that instance. 

RIP RAV4? TBD.

So, coming full circle, you can see why I now have a new found appreciation for the seemingly thousands of times my parents have said "Be careful." It's not so much them thinking I'm incompetent as it's them being worried about the actions of the others on the road alongside me. 

Unfortunately, knowing what I know now, I'll probably find myself driving my daughter insane some day with those two simple words every time she leaves the house. Maybe as a girl she'll be a little more understanding of it than I was as a teenage boy. I can hope that's the case at least. #DaddyWrite

No comments:

Post a Comment