Friday, September 30, 2022

Day 1,364 - Ethan and Cat: Board Game Buddies

Calvin and Hobbes.

R2-D2 and C-3PO.

Snoopy and Woodstock.

No one is going to dispute that these are some of the most iconic duos of all time. However, I think any list of iconic duos would be incomplete without including Ethan and Cat.

You're right, Han. I'm sorry I didn't include you and Chewie.

Ethan and Cat have been nigh inseparable since Ellie gifted it to him back in the day when Ethan first learned to say "Cat".  They have been constant companions and do practically everything together. At least that was the case until a few weeks ago when Cat mysteriously vanished. Try though we might, we couldn't find Cat. Therefore, there was a stretch of nights when Ethan was forced to go to sleep without his best friend laying beside him. Despite the presence of Spidey, Uncle Ryan Bear, and Leon the lion, there was still a void in his heart that could only be filled by Cat. Therefore, you can imagine his joy when the day came that we finally found Cat stuffed underneath our bed. No idea how or why he got there but it doesn't really matter. Ethan finally had his best friend back.

One of our earliest pictures of Ethan and Cat. He's so white and fluffy!

Like all best friends, Ethan and Cat love to do everything together. They eat snacks, go on car rides, play board games. What, you want me to rewind for a minute? That's right, Ethan and his stuffed cat play board games together. I realize now that probably does sound a little confusing. After all, in what world could a stuffed animal play board games with a human child? Apparently this one.

It started simply enough. Ethan absolutely loves playing board games. However, there are definitely those times when no one can play one with him at that exact moment. For the most part he takes that in stride. One day last week, after I finished the project I was working on, I went looking for Ethan so that I could play Yahtzee Jr. with him just like I promised. When I wandered closer to his room, I heard the unmistakable sound of dice rattling. With that, I quietly peered around the door frame to see what was happening.

The first thing I saw was the Yahtzee Jr. board game spread out on the floor with two sets of player tokens set out. My initial thought was that Ethan had gone ahead and set up the game board and was waiting patiently for me. Then I noticed that the board looked to be in mid-game. The next thing really gave away what was happening though. Ethan put the five dice in the cup and then carefully situated the cup between Cat's paws. Then he "helped" Cat shake the dice and play through Cat's turn. The two actually played through the entire game of Yahtzee Jr. before I joined them for another round. Yes, you read that right; I played a three-person game of Yahtzee Jr. with Ethan and Cat.

Since that day, it's become quite common for Cat to join us when playing board games. Bethany has even gotten the opportunity to play both Candy Land and Yahtzee with Cat. The one bad thing about playing with Cat is that sometimes Ethan and Cat get confused about who's turn it is. Also, and this is just dumb luck, I haven't actually won a board game since Cat joined in the fun. Although, for the record, Ethan hasn't either.

I guess what I'm saying is that Cat is really, really good at board games. Who knew? #DaddyWrite

No comments:

Post a Comment