Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Day 1,281 - The Things Ethans Say

I like blogging because it allows me to chronicle these big moments in the kids' lives that otherwise might be lost to time. For example, something that doesn't need to be remembered for years to come was the three of us finishing the second season of "Green Eggs and Ham" this morning. Hardly worth remembering in 20 years but still a crazy fun series to watch. In fact, I still can't get the theme song out of my head!


There are many other things that deserve to be chronicled though. One example would be the silly things that comes out of Ethan's mouth. To him, I'm sure these things really aren't all that silly. They probably come from a place of seriousness and at that moment in time, they are the truest, deepest thoughts that his little body can dream up. One of these so-called "silly things" burst forth from Ethan's lips just yesterday as we had ourselves a little morning adventure.

Our adventure started out as a simple trip to the post office and nothing more. However, when one doesn't really have any strict deadlines to meet, then it's easy to veer off course and do something like go to a park. In case you're wondering, going to a park is exactly what Ethan and I decided to do with our morning. Seeing as how Hobby Hill Park is located right down the street from the post office, it made sense for that to be our park of choice.

I personally really like Hobby Hill Park because it features an outdoor gym meaning that I can exercise in between stints of pushing Ethan on the swings and the zip line. Ethan for his part also likes the outdoor gym. He specifically loves the exercise bike which is somewhat strange seeing as how his feet don't even properly reach the pedals. After Ethan tired of playing at the playground, he wanted to go on a walk around the park so that's exactly what we did.

FEEL THE BURN!!!

At about the halfway mark of our journey, Ethan noted a field off to the north complete with disc golf baskets where he reminisced about the time we played disc golf with some friends. From there, it was a short hop and a skip across a bridge where Ethan found a bench on which to rest his weary legs. When I asked what he was doing, his reply was simple enough. "I'm probably getting tired so I'm sitting on the bench." Now, don't ask me why he was only probably getting tired, but he was. Perhaps this was a preemptive break to prevent him from fully getting tired. When I pressed him for additional details on the severity of his tiredness, he had no additional information to offer.

I wish there were some pigeons for him to feed.

There was one additional statement from Ethan yesterday that I do want to share. After the park, we headed to Target to purchase two items. Specifically soap. We needed soap. Both hand soap and body soap. That's clearly the kind of trip to Target that should be over and done in about ten minutes or so. However, Ethan subscribes to the same train of thought that most women that shop at Target do. That being that he needs to explore every single aisle in the toy department before we can leave. While he's normally pretty good about not asking for things, he did ask for one thing on this occasion. "Dad, can I have a skateboard when I turn five?" Now, I'm not sure why he has earmarked five in his head as the appropriate time to get a skateboard but he had. My response was the old parent standby of "We'll see, son. We'll see."

For the record, I assumed Ethan would forget about the skateboard. That is not the case as he was talking about it again today and how he was going to get one when he turns five. As a result, I'm now wondering if I should go ahead and book an ER and/or Urgent Care visit for his birthday two years from now or if I can just wait until the day of. Anyone know the answer to that? #DaddyWrite


No comments:

Post a Comment