Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Day 1,128 - "I do not like the cone of shame."

I'm not trying to give myself a big head or anything BUT I have to say that I think I'm fairly decent at being a stay-at-home parent. The kids are fed, clothed, and washed on a semi-regular basis. They only play in the street when I'm watching and it's been at least two months since anyone tried to eat a rock. That being said though, I am not infallible.

There are those times when the most miniscule thing will slip my mind. It can happen to anyone. Well, it just so happens that I recently had a couple of miniscule things slip my mind on back-to-back days. Unfortunately those miniscule things were necessary for Ellie's day at school. It's not like the things I forgot would cause my children to be removed from my care permanently. Instead, it just meant I probably deserved whatever the human version of the "cone of shame" from Up would be.

I'm going to make the argument that the first day of forgetfulness can be explained away due to circumstances being out of the ordinary. What does that mean? Well, it means that the thing I forgot isn't a daily necessity for Ellie to take to school. What is that item? Well, it was Ellie's lunch box, complete with her lunch.

I know on the surface that sounds bad but I assure it's not. The simple fact of the matter is that Ellie's school currently offers free school lunches. As a result, we have been taking advantage of that more often than not. The only reason we packed Ellie's lunch on this day was because she didn't really like the idea of eating Nachos Supreme for lunch. At least I think it was Nachos Supreme. I don't remember and it doesn't really matter. Regardless, the lovingly packed lunch Bethany made for Ellie consisting of a PBJ, carrots, and fruit was left hanging out in the fridge next to our pitcher of water. 

Not going to lie, I felt pretty bad once I saw this.

Ellie, for her part, didn't notice that her lunch was missing until lunchtime. Once she noticed though, the sadness kicked in. Ellie's teacher stepped in though and reminded Ellie that in addition to the hot meal options, she could also get the cold meal consisting of a PBJ with vegetable and fruit. While it wasn't lovingly packed by Bethany, at least Ellie was able to enjoy a similar meal to what she had expected. That's something, right?

On day two, I probably can't make as good of a case for the item I forgot to send with her. That's because the thing I forgot to send was a mask. You know, the very thing we have to wear on our faces anytime we go in public right now. Good work, me! The really sad thing about forgetting Ellie's mask was that Bethany sent me a checklist reminding me of everything I needed to make sure Ellie had for school that day which definitely included "mask". Fortunately, the school stepped in again and provided Ellie with a disposable mask she could wear for the day. Although, I do feel the urge to state that Ellie did have an emergency cloth mask in her backpack so maybe that mistake is a little less egregious considering that info.

I'm proud to say though that since those rough days last week, I have been successful in remembering everything that Ellie needed for her day at school each day. Now, will that continue to be the case? Unlikely. After all, I'm only human...and a dad. #DaddyWrite


 

No comments:

Post a Comment