Monday, June 14, 2021

Day 1,065 - Technology is Cool...Especially When It Leads to Impromptu Splash Park Visits

Technology is cool.

Blog post done.

On second thought, I should probably write a little more than that. After all, context as to why "Technology is cool" would probably be helpful. I could be talking about the age of streaming media or the ease in which information is attainable. I could be talking about digital currencies or memes about cats. Memes about cat are cool though, right? In this instance, I'm talking about technology has changed communication.

For the last year, I have taken part in a Marco Polo chain with a group of college friends affectionately known as the "Nubs" (can be pronounced either 'new-b-s' or 'nuh-b-s'). In case anyone is unfamiliar with Marco Polo, it is essentially a video walkie talkie, allowing users to leave short video messages for others that can be watched at people's convenience.

While we've been close since our college years, our volume of communication has definitely ebbed and flowed over the years. After starting our Marco Polo chain last year in the throes of Covid, we've found ourselves talking practically every day either via text or Marco Polo. During that time, we've spent plenty of time joking around and reliving past memories. However, we've also had lots of important conversations based around current events, our families, theological conversations, and yes, cat memes. 

One of my favorite things about our Marco Polo chain though is how much it has changed in the last year. While it was initially just the seven "Nubs" making appearances, it has evolved to the point where it's not unusual to see our wives and kids make short cameo appearances. That's been one of the coolest parts of Marco Polo to me. Despite our distance, we've had the chance to get to know the members of each other's family. That brings me to yesterday's activity.

On somewhat short notice, I decided that it was the perfect time to head to the splash park. However, I found myself wanting to try something new so I searched online and found one in Liberty that the kids and I hadn't actually been to before. It was even firefighter themed! Therefore, I told the kids we would be going somewhere to get wet around 9:30. As I was getting them dressed, I realized that there were two members of the Nubs in the Northland who happened to be on vacation for summer. Therefore, I fired a quick text inviting them and their kids to join us. Lo and behold, I actually got a bite and my friend, Kevin, and his kids would be joining us later in the morning.

Upon our arrival at the splash park, I was slightly bummed out to discover that the park wasn't nearly as good as our favorite, Dagg Park. However, it did have an awesome overhang which protected the kids from the sun as well as giving me a nice, cool place to stand. After a while, I saw Kevin pull into the parking lot with his three kids in tow. I found myself wanting to test Ellie's knowledge. Therefore, I pulled her over and asked her if she recognized the people coming. She thought for a moment and then replied that it was Mr. Kevin, Ainsley, and Weston. For the record, she didn't know the name of Kevin's baby but I figured that was ok since he's only a year old. 

For the rest of the morning, Kevin and I hung out and chatted while the kids covered every inch of the splash pad and adjoining park. For their part, Ellie, Ainsley, and Weston acted like long-lost friends and played together awesomely. It honestly goes to show the power of technology. Here you had two families that have rarely interacted outside of a digital medium. However, the kids still know each other and were excited to play together. Not only that, but they can't wait to do it again! 

So. Very. Cool. #DaddyWrite 

No comments:

Post a Comment