Thursday, January 16, 2020

Day 741 - Nap or Eat, Eat or Nap?


Do you hear that? It's silence. Absolute silence. And it's about time!

...Within the sound of silence

Obviously, any parent struggles with the constant cacophony of sounds emanating from every last crevasse of their home as their children play. That's not the cause for my relief though. Obviously, I've become quite accustomed to the constant barrage of "Daddy, will you play with me?" 
accompanied by toys covering every square inch of our carpet. What I'll never get used to though is the cranky cries associated with one very unhappy baby in the midst of his own personal sleep strike.

This week has actually been full of new nighttime routines for our little guy. For one, we made the long-awaited decision to begin weaning him at nights. We didn't come to that decision selfishly though. Well, maybe a little. It was mostly made since Ethan really doesn't eat during the night anymore. Instead, he just uses it to soothe himself for a couple of minutes before falling back asleep. As a result, nighttimes have morphed into a mostly dad-only zone. I'll go in and hold Ethan until he finally falls back asleep. Then I'll transition him back to his crib and happily skip (not really) back to my own bed. Things had largely been going great until Ethan decided last night that it was time to rebel.


Beginning at 10:30 last night, Ethan embarked on a quest to wake up in tears approximately once every two hours. At first, I was more than willing to help him out. As the night went on though, my willingness began to wane. In fact, it really hit its peak around 4:00 am when my tried-and-true formula didn't work. No matter how often I tried, I couldn't get Ethan transferred from my arms to his crib without the tears following suit. Bethany even took a shift before things finally resulted in me finishing the night co-sleeping alongside my son.

While one would think the issues would decrease during daylight hours, that would be very wrong. Instead, Ethan's idea of sleep largely consisted of yawning and taking occasional breaks to just lie on the floor in the fetal position. Whenever I'd make the attempt to move him to his crib though, it would be met with excessive screaming. Finally, after five tries throughout the morning, I decided it was time to give up and just wait for him to succumb to exhaustion. Before that could happen, it was first time for lunch.

Since I was pretty much mentally done with everything by this moment in time, it goes without saying that I was preparing an easy lunch. On this day, the menu would consists of leftover steak fried rice, banana, and a mixture of corn and peas. Obviously, Ellie and I were partaking exclusively of the fried rice and bananas while Ethan enjoyed a mix of all three. Even though I started off lunch kind of ticked off at Ethan, he wouldn't let me stay that way even though I really wanted to. For one thing, it's really cute to watch him eat and hear him continually beg for more. The main reason though was due to the new trick he learned today.

As we began to finish up with lunch, Ethan still had a decent amount of corn and peas left on his tray. Normally, he'll just finish up anything regardless of whether he's actually full or not. Today though, Ethan decided to clean his tray in a different way. 

Grasping a kernel of corn between his thumb and pointer finger, Ethan held his tiny hand aloft in the direction of my mouth. When I didn't respond initially, Ethan's reaction was to begin saying his favorite "word", "Dada", over and over again. Actually, I can't guarantee that's what he is saying; it is what it sounds like though. 

After several increasingly more passionate echoes of "Dada" from my son, I leaned forward and opened my mouth where Ethan happily deposited the kernel of corn in my mouth. At this point, I figured we were done. Ethan thought otherwise as we repeated the process until every last piece of corn or pea had disappeared from his tray. Then, and only then, could we call lunch complete.

With that, I decided the time had finally come for Ethan to take a nap even if he had to epically cry in the process. I quickly prepared a bottle and took Ethan to his bedroom. Once there, we sat on the full-size bed together as I fed him a bottle. Finally, once the last drop of milk had drained from the bottle, he began to cry and rub his eyes repeatedly. I knew the time had finally come. I popped a pacifier in Ethan's mouth and gave him two more, one for each hand. Then, I gingerly backed out the open door and quietly closed it behind me. When I didn't hear any crying, I knew that I had finally achieved success.

The lone question remaining is if my success was because Ethan was finally full and relaxed or if he could rest easy knowing that his daddy was full and relaxed as well. Who knows which is the right answer in his little mind. #DaddyWrite


No comments:

Post a Comment