Thursday, September 5, 2019

Day 670 - "That's Unfortunate"


Over the past year or two, I've really gotten into 'Dude Perfect' on YouTube. It started simply enough with me searching for fidget spinner trick shots. Before long, I was going back and watching their entire catalog on YouTube. I still excitedly tune in every other Monday when they release a new video just to see what's in store. It also helps with being a fan to know that they are super strong followers of Christ and aren't afraid to share that part of their lives. 

As time has gone on, they've stepped away from trick shots somewhat and embraced a variety program format. Part of that variety program is a fake game show called "That's Unfortunate" where the loser suffers through weird punishments like flying to Wisconsin for literally no reason or waiting in line all day at an amusement park without riding anyrides

I would provide you with a link of the videos here but unfortunately they're all twenty minutes in length. Therefore, enjoy this gif of the dancing 'Dude Perfect' Panda.

This is all relevant because today I suffered through my very own version of "That's Unfortunate" and you can be quite certain that it was unfortunate.

I should begin by letting you know that the day didn't start off unfortunate. For one thing, I woke up knowing that I was going for a nice walk with the kids today. I even skipped the gym and everything as I knew I would get good and sweaty on a walk. Not long after Bethany left for work, I put Ethan down for his morning nap and Ellie and I took part in some extended craft time. We also got some reading/snuggling time on the couch which is always pretty great.

Once Ethan woke up from his nap around 9:00, it was time to get everyone dressed and loaded up for our little outing. Normally when we go on a stroller ride, it's based around making a trek to a local park. That was partially the goal for today. However, more importantly, we were heading to the Casey's down the street to put air in the stroller's tires. The spring and summer of shifting temperatures had taken their toll on our tires' air pressure so it was no shocker that they were a little flat.

Of course, no trip to Casey's would be complete without a quick stop to see the Humpty Dumpty statue perched on a fence near the gas station. If you care, on this occasion, Humpty was dressed as if he was ready for school. The ensemble was completed by the chalk board, crayons, and pencils adorning the wall beside him. After a quick visit, we headed across the street to Casey's.

When we got there, I wheeled the stroller up next to the air pump, informing Ellie that she was welcome to hop out and watch. All was going well until I took the valve cap off of the tire only to find that the valve stem had retreated inside the structure of the wheel and I was unable to pull it out on my own. With no alternative, I loaded Ellie up and we strolled next door to O'Reilly Auto Parts to borrow a set of needle-nosed pliers to aid me in our task.

Once back at Casey's, it took me no time at all to pull the valve stem to an acceptable height. I then turned on the air pump and placed the nozzle on my tire. Rather than hearing the soothing sound of air filling my tire, I instead heard the unmistakable sound of air leaving my tire. It just so happened that the nozzle on the air pump was broken. Instead of filling up my tire with air, all I did was release the last of what was left in it. Say it with me now; "THAT'S UNFORTUNATE!"


At this point, I knew I had an interesting little adventure ahead. Obviously with a completely flat tire on one side, there was no way Ellie could ride. Instead, she would have to walk over half a mile back to the house. Not only that, but I really didn't want to tear up the wheel and tire on our stroller by driving it with an epically flat tire. Therefore, I had to get creative. While lifting up on the handlebar with my right hand, I had to push down on the left side. Essentially, I was driving the stroller with it slanted at an angle up in the air.

I don't know if you've ever tried to push a three-wheeled stroller for a half mile with only two wheels touching the ground. I can attest that it is no easy feat. Couple that with the fact that Ellie was little to no help and you have the makings of quite a little adventure. Between her attempts to help push the stroller (but really just putting her weight on the handlebars making it harder to push) or her desire to walk in front of the stroller while traveling at an inconsistent pace, it was a pretty long trip home. When it was all said and done, the walk had taken twice the normal amount of time as a result of all of our little rest breaks.

For the record, the stroller's tire is still flat at this time. If I'm being honest, I'll probably forget it's flat until the time comes for us to go on another stroller ride. With the utmost certainly, I can definitely say "That's Unfortunate!" #DaddyWrite

No comments:

Post a Comment